Lens used in Paris, Texas?

I am not sure of the specific shot you are referring to but from my knowledge it could be either a swing shift lens or he could have used a split diopter, From memory Robby likes to use them a bit.

I am not sure of the specific shot you are referring to but from my knowledge it could be either a swing shift lens or he could have used a split diopter, From memory Robby likes to use them a bit.

I think he got the camera from Otto's and I think it was prior to the swing and tilt craze. It was probably a split dioptor with Zeiss Speeds or Super Speeds. I'm not sure when the Super Speeds came out but they were relatively new in 1986.

• 13 years later...

I recently seen the movie again with the commentary by Wim Wenders and he said they started shooting the movie in summer of 1983.

Cine Lens Manual says Zeiss Superspeed Mark1 came out in 1983...

Its suprising a movie like Paris , Texas influenced most DPs dont even have info about lenses and camera on anywhere.Not even on Cine Lens Manual book.

I was looking at the BTS photos and looks like camera is 35BL III.

I cant make up the lens though..It might be a Superspeed mk1 iris is all the way closed and on the front but i dont see any red focus markings its all white markings.

Also they have used split diopter in more than 5-6 scenes.

here s the ASC article about it 

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://cinephiliabeyond.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Robby-Müller-shooting-Paris-Texas-1.pdf&hl

BTS

EY6jfGF.jpg

vpPe9qU.jpg

ewThE0k.jpg

oetEePC.jpg

Edited by Kemalettin Sert

• Premium Member

DoP Robbie Müller deliberately avoided mentioning the technical aspects because they didn’t interest him, as the AC article describes. 

But the BTS photos show a 35BLIII and I’m pretty sure that’s a Zeiss Super Speed on the Director’s Finder. The B&W shot has an older lens, maybe a Cooke Speed Panchro.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2023 at 4:12 AM, Dom Jaeger said:

DoP Robbie Müller deliberately avoided mentioning the technical aspects because they didn’t interest him, as the AC article describes. 

But the BTS photos show a 35BLIII and I’m pretty sure that’s a Zeiss Super Speed on the Director’s Finder. The B&W shot has an older lens, maybe a Cooke Speed Panchro.

Thank you for the reply! I wish we had more info on technical stuff for a movie like this.