Music Videos in 35mm

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member

Pretty much, out of the blue, I'm getting calls and feelers from rock and alternative bands for producing music videos. They seem to be attracted to my full, Techniscope process at my obscenely low rates. They seem to want the credibility that 35mm can bring to their band's image. Firstly, does this mean that the economy is picking up? Secondly, doesn't Tscope seem a bit overkill for a music video?

It started with a couple of locals. I guess these guys talk to each other a lot. I've now gotten inquiries from Cleveland, Kansas City and LA. What's happening, here?

• Premium Member

Perhaps they've seen some RED footage? And I only partially mean that as a jab. Could it be we're hitting a point of over-saturation by REDs and DSLRs? Maybe people are noticing that every little band's music video looks super snappy but still somehow not so good?

• Premium Member

Could be looking for a vintage "grungie" look too.. and if Tupac taught us ANYTHING, it's that nothing is overkill for a music video... I mean have you seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWOsbGP5Ox4

or the great 'been 'round the world:

http://vodpod.com/watch/3113873-puff-daddy...round-the-world

be happy you're getting the rentals, I'm inclined to think that people really want to try to differentiate in an over-crowded market...

• Premium Member

Very recently I was having a conversation with a photography student at a local university lamenting over selling my Nikon F4, to wit they replied "how many megapixels was that again?" I didn't know if I should've cried or extended my hand full force... Instead I sipped on my coffee and took a drag of my cigarette and thought, hey less future competition.

Have the times changed, of course they have, but I don't find that necessarily bad though it is oft annoying. I'm just thankful that most people still associate film with "the big time."

Paul, do it up! I wouldn't over analyze it. Just go with the flow. In my neck of the woods, everyone is still dazzled by frigging RED and DSLRs. Just get it while the getting is good. It would be great if film made a huge comeback . . .