7285 super 8 as black and white

Can this new super 8 stock be processed as black and white reversal? Or negative? What would the results look like?

Definitely not Chris.

This film is E-6 colour reversal and cannot be processed through ANY B&W chemicals.

If it's put through a B&W process you'll get nothing on the film as it requires a bleach step ( at high temperature ).

The only other thing you could do with '7285' is to 'cross process it' ( as a special effect negative ) through process C-41 ( colour negative ) but that's if you can find a lab that runs C-41 16mm for cine - you won't find an 8mm C-41 processor though.

I don't know if anybody here on the forum has any experience of processing this emulsion through ECN-2 - maybe they can enlighten us ?

Hope that helps,

John S :rolleyes:

Can this new super 8 stock be processed as black and white reversal? Or negative? What would the results look like?

I agree a John idea , but, I wish add a some notes.

Yes, 7285 100D film have E-6 technology processing, but, if you wish have peculiar artimages, you can replace a color developer on other type of one-colour dye.

At final you will have one color slide image.

The dye can be chemical solution for B&W photo paper, special formulas for B&W print films, other dye.

Any case, this can be interested experiments.

I agree a John idea , but, I wish add a some notes.

Yes, 7285 100D film have E-6 technology processing, but, if you wish have peculiar artimages, you can replace a color developer on other type of one-colour dye.

At final you will have one color slide image.

The dye can be chemical solution for B&W photo paper, special formulas for B&W print films, other dye.

Any case, this can be interested experiments.

No Olex, E-6 ( colour dev ) doesn't work like that.

To produce colour dyes, chemicals react together with the film's colour couplers.

It's not a case of adding colours in the process which is what I think you're saying.

No Olex, E-6 ( colour dev ) doesn't work like that.

To produce colour dyes, chemicals react together with the film's colour couplers.

It's not a case of adding colours in the process which is what I think you're saying.

Hi John

May be you right, we use of adding colours at processing of B&W reversal film and had very good result.

About E-6 we do not make experiments, I show of my supposition only.

Any case, the guys can checl this ideas by test, need a russian spiral tank UPB-1, UPB-1A, chemisrty, and short ends of S8 films.