DIGIBETA vs HD?!?

John Carreon

• Premium Member
Digibeta is SD, HD is well, HD. Digibeta has like 520,000 (Or so) pixels. F900 HD has 2.2 Million. Digibeta has a fairly high comporession, (Some) HD has a Lower compression rate.

HD is just HD, and SD is just SD (Digbeta.). :ph34r:

"Digibeta has a fairly high comporession,"

Digibeta is only compressed about 2.3 to 1. To me, that's fairly low considering HDCAM is much higher. :)

"Digibeta has a fairly high comporession,"

Digibeta is only compressed about 2.3 to 1.  To me, that's fairly low considering HDCAM is much higher. :)

I wouldnt complain either, I'd be happy with Digibeta. Im getting sick of the DVcam stuff. I am ready to grow up

maybe? :huh:

Digibeta is only compressed about 2.3 to 1. To me, that's fairly low considering HDCAM is much higher.

Not really, It depends on what kind of HD your recoding too. If your recording to HDCAM SR @ 880MBPS, then it's a much lower compression ratio than Digibeta. It just depends on what you record the HD signal too.

P.S) I did say "Some" HD has a lower compression rate also, not ALL HD.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member
Not really, It depends on what kind of HD your recoding too. If your recording to HDCAM SR @ 880MBPS, then it's a much lower compression ratio than Digibeta. It just depends on what you record the HD signal too.

P.S) I did say "Some" HD has a lower compression rate also, not ALL HD.

HDCAM SR has the following compression ratios:

In 4:2:2 recording the compression ratio 2.7/1

In 4:4:4 recording the compression ratio is 4.2/1

Both are higher than DigiBeta. But I will say HDCAM SR at 4:4:4 looks fantastic!! :)

• Premium Member
So, Digibeta has a rate higher than 880MBPS? Thats news to me. I thought it had a rate just a tad higher than DVC-Pro 50?

Guess I was WAY wronge.

What is the rate of Digibeta?

You're confusing data rates with compression ratios. Digi-Beta has a fairly low compression ratio.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The operative point here is that HDCAM has about four times as much info to begin with, so it has to compress it more to get it onto essentially the same tape as digibeta.

However, you know there might actually be a case for contending that HDCAM is less compressed as a representation of reality because there's more information in it - Landon's mistake is easy to make, because it seems slightly insane that we're calling a format with a higher data rate "more compressed!"

Phil

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

I have actually seen these two formats blown up and compared, digibeta wasn't as sharp, but it was suprisingly good.

• Premium Member
And I wonder just how close BetaCam SP is to Digi-BetaCam, because BetaCam SP is a LOT less expensive to use.

The trouble with any analog tape format is generational loss, and since almost everything that gets put onto a videotape is copied at some point, it's a real issue. Just working on my reel, I can tell you that any dubs I make from a digi-beta tape that I got from a production look better than the dubs I make from any beta-sp tapes I got. So lately I've been insisting on either a DVCAM or a Digi-Beta copy, not Beta-SP.

The only reason to use Beta-SP is if you have access to a Beta-SP camcorder for cheap because that will probably produce a better picture than a consumer DV camera, more because of the differences in cameras than the recording formats. But if your'e talking about mastering anything to tape, pick a digital format.