Comparison of 7D and RED ...

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

There's a thread over on Reduser where J.Bernard Fallon shows a couple of frame grabs comparing the Canon 7D with a Red with the new sensor: "Same time same place same lights."

These are the two frames in question, shrunken to a manageable size but, apart from labelling them, otherwise untouched. (Obviously available resolution is no longer visible, but that's not the issue).

Might be same time same place, but clearly neither the framing nor the lighting are the same!

A resolution chart is supposed to occupy the same percentage of available imaging area to be valid. My cellphone camera will out-rez a RED if I shoot a chart with it from three feet away and the RED from 30 feet away!

redtest.jpg

What baffles me is I seem to be the only one who's noticed this.

It reminds me of all the iPad ads on billboards and elsewhere that use completely screwed up perspective and depth of field to suggest that the iPad is a lot bigger than it actually is. :rolleyes:

e).

Might be same time same place, but clearly neither the framing nor the lighting are the same!

Hey Keith,

I think this is a little unfair. Firstly, the original full-res images are still available, and on my website:

http://www.jbvmedia.com/tests/R1_25mm_RPP_lens.jpg

http://www.jbvmedia.com/tests/7d_25mm_zeiss_lens.jpg

The framing is a little left on one of them, a thousand pardons. Also, on this lens I measured distance to the charts, and sensor size on the 7d doesnt ::quite:: match the M chip, so the frame size is off. Also my mistake. But as you can see from the full-res versions, the purpose of this test wasn't to measure objective resolution of either camera, that's pretty well documented. It was just a straight up comparison to show where artifacting begins on both cameras, and what that looks like subjectively. A lot of people have told me it's very helpful, I'll post more over at reduser.

The lighting is identical, the exposure is as well: 250 ASA @2.8 1/48 on both cameras. The 7d appears a little lighter, which is because the in-camera processing in the 7d boosts the mids a bit. Next time i'll compensate the R3d to match.

• Premium Member

I think the test is just fine for showing you something. Your only "mistake" was throwing in a resolution chart into the shot that was not "correctly" shot, which is hardly unusual. Some people toss in a newspaper or dollar bill for similar reasons, just to have some fine lines in the frame.

I've shot similar tests and the color mismatch is inevitable with cameras that record color & gamma in such different ways.

• Premium Member

The lighting is identical...

Then why is the shadow of that pole (where it says "7D") in a completely different place and considerably less blurry than in the RED version.

Look, nobody seriously expects the 7D to have as much resolution as the RED, but you're hardly going to impress anybody with a slipshod test like that.

Just sayin'...

Then why is the shadow of that pole (where it says "7D") in a completely different place and considerably less blurry than in the RED version.

Look, nobody seriously expects the 7D to have as much resolution as the RED, but you're hardly going to impress anybody with a slipshod test like that.

Just sayin'...

Thanks Keith for bringing this slipshop test to the attention of the forum. May the rain of condescension fall heavily on the poor fool who tried to post something somewhere that tried to be useful information about the red camera. If only Jim Jannard had come out of "sick leave" to discuss it on cinematography.net then it would be truly interesting information. :rolleyes:

Just sayin'...

[This is a useful quick test despite it's short comings. I don't know about the rest of the world but here the 7d (with and without pl modification) is being used in addition to the red and instead of the red so it's nice to see some "direct" comparisons.]

Edited by jacob thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Just sayin'...

the lighting is in the same place. If you look at the background and not the foreground you can see the shadows are in exactly the same place on that window frame type thing. The only reason it appears different is because of the angle and placement of the camera.

• Premium Member

The lighting is identical, the exposure is as well: 250 ASA @2.8 1/48 on both cameras. The 7d appears a little lighter, which is because the in-camera processing in the 7d boosts the mids a bit. Next time i'll compensate the R3d to match.

Bracketing on both would be nice to see. To me, density is the big difference between them, which makes other comparisons difficult.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Just sayin'...

I don't think he's trying to impress anyone. He explained the test and its potential value. Why you have to impute to him some desire to impress people is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...