Tracking a bright object through the viewfinder?

Hi,

I was wondering, how do you track an extremely bright object using the 'real' optics of a cine cam? In other words, how would you film a rocket launch with a super8 and not go blind looking through the viewfinder?

Do you just wear some welding goggles? :D

Cheers

I've never heard of anyone having eye problems caused filming a rocket take off. You certainly won't be close enough with a Super 8 camera to have any problems, the viewing galley's are quite a distance from the launch pad. It could be an issue if you were closely observing the flame itself, which is what welders do when they look at the puddle of the weld.

One problem with welding is the UV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photokeratitis

I've never heard of anyone having eye problems caused filming a rocket take off. You certainly won't be close enough with a Super 8 camera to have any problems, the viewing galley's are quite a distance from the launch pad. It could be an issue if you were closely observing the flame itself, which is what welders do when they look at the puddle of the weld.

One problem with welding is the UV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photokeratitis

Cool ok, thanks.

I'm just a bit apprehensive about zooming into rocket boosters - bright light + magnification don't sound particularly eye friendly! :)

• Premium Member

Remember that to record a decent image you'll be stopped down and, unless you're on a panaflex or something else with a behind the lens filter slot, that will also dim the image in the viewfinder. You'll be fine. Hundreds of people watch those launches every time without problems.

A welding arc is as hot as the Sun. Rocket exhaust is nothing like as bright so don't worry.

On an ordinary Super-8 camera the viewfinder prism is in front of the iris, so stopping down doesn't dim the view. That would only affect an interchangeable- lens camera such as a Beaulieu.