Panavision Millenium XL VS Arri LT

James Rydings

• Premium Member

They're both good cameras. Many times your 1st will have a preference one way or the other, or the producer will have a preference based on the quotes they get.

If you want better advice you should post some info about the job and exactly what kind of operating you plan to do.

Well, if anything, advertising something as a "2000" or "Millenium" is a thing of the past. That indicates a marketing trend from the '90s

But what you call something, Simon, really has little bearing on what it is or what it does. That is marketing, fluff.

The LT might be slightly noisier than the Millenium. Millenium is obviously heavier. If you're shooting at anything other than 24 fps or doing non-standard shutter angles, I'd check this out. I think they both have an electronic shutter and very precise frame rate adjustments.

I forget the specifics of each, to be honest, but there are spec. differences. Let me see if I can look those up. . .

From Arri.DE, the Arri LT Specs:

Recording format 35 mm Film

Lens mount 54 mm PL

Contacts for LDS lenses yes

Forward run 1-48 fps

Reverse run 1-32 fps

Sound level below 24 db(A)

Temperature range -10°C to +40°C (14°F to 104°F)

Mirror reflex shutter 180° to 0° electronically adjustable

Nominal power input 24 V DC to 32 V DC

Weight body with finder 5.25 kg/11.56 lbs

These are from the Panavision PDF for the Millenium. Beware, though, might be for the XL. The XL is the newer camera, so will have a higher rental rate. . .

1.2 Camera specifications

Flange Focal distance ......................2.2488"......57.119mm

Power ................................................24 volt System

Speed Range ....................................3-50 FPS forward/reverse

Shutter Angle ..................................11.2-180°

Electronically Controlled

Motor ..............................................DC Brushless

Motor Control ................................Digital PLL

Fuses ................................................Auto-Reset Thermal

Mirror ..............................................150° Full Reflex

Camera weights and measures

Body–Steadicam Ready ................PFX-M ....17.2 lbs......7.80 kg.

Focus Tube ......................................MFT ........3.9 lbs.......1.77 kg.

Extension Eyepiece ........................MEPX ......4.7 lbs........2.13kg.

Hand Held Eyepiece .....................MEPP .......1.1 lbs.......0.50 kg.

1000' Magazine ..............................MM10 .......12 lbs.......5.44 kg.

400' Magazine .................................MM4 ...........6 lbs.......2.72 kg.

Iris Rod Bracket ..............................MIRB .......1.1 lbs.......0.50 kg.

Butterfly Digital Display ................MDD .......0.5 lbs.......0.23 kg.

Hand Held Rig ..............................HHGA ......4.1 lbs.......1.86 kg.

Steadicam Adapter Plate ...............MSCD ......0.7 lbs.....0.317 kg.

I COULDN'T COPY PASTE IT, BUT THERE WAS ALSO A STEADICAM ADAPTER THAT WAS HALF A POUND (~250g)

• Premium Member

You're comparing the latest lightweight sync-sound 35mm cameras from the two world leaders in cine camera design. In terms of what you can do with them (frame rates, shutter angles, accessories, 3 or 4-perf), they're pretty similar. Both are modular and can be stripped down or bulked up depending on the job required. The main difference is whether you want to deal with Panavision, or use Panavision lenses.

From a technician's POV, Arri have the better build quality, with less variation in reliability from camera to camera, and Arri movements require less maintenance, but that's probably irrelevant to the end user.

It's an XL Karl, not a Millenium, so the specs you posted aren't correct.

Thanks Brad. Here is what I could find for the Millenium XL:

http://www.panavision.asia/uploads/PDFs/Brochures-PV/Mill-XL_Brochure.pdf

Be aware, James, that there's an XL2 out there too now. Do you know OTOH, what differences there are between this and the XL Brad? I couldn't find information with my quick online search.

Edited by Karl Borowski

• Premium Member

Call me stubborn, but I really prefer Arris over everything else out there right now because I personally find them easier to use (load/maintain build up and break down) and in all my usages of 'em only had 1 mag scratch to hell, which was my fault. Even if I want to use Panavision lenses, I'll look for a Pan-Arri. From a "what can they do standpoint," however, the cameras a pretty similar for most standard operation. I'm unsure, however, whether the Panavision works as well as the Arri does with speed ramps and special shootings, as I myself haven't done such things on either system.