Any experiences with the new Kodak Ektachrome 100D S8?

Jurgen Lossau

Hi,

for my articles in schmalfilm magazine I would be interested to get some informations about your results with the new Kodak Ektachrome 100D in the Super 8 cartridge. I am always reading about people questioning if their camera will read the notch of the cartridge correctly. But where are all those Super 8 filmers that already took the chance to try this new film? What Super 8 camera model did you use, was the exposure fine? What about the colors and the grain? Any problems? Please let me know - in the thread or by private message.

I got my first 4 rolls back of the Kodak 100D carts. I used a Nizo 481 macro with the filter switch set for daylight (100ASA) and got great exposures. The colors were amazing and the grain was really tight... a real relief from 64T. Most of my shots were in overcast, so there wasn't a problem with high contrast. I used a ND .6 and cut out 2 stops for a timelapse over the Pacific Ocean. A .6 ND (effective 25ASA) is an easy solution for the higher speed in bright situations. The higher speed did produce very nice exposures for slow motion in overcast, where slower stocks tend to drop off. I'm real pleased with it, going to be shooting a lot more S8 now-

• Premium Member

Hi, transportation of the 100D was superb thru the leicina, via an 814xl-s i get a build up of emulsion in the gate, i am still waiting for the 814xl-s results to come back from the lab. Results with the leicina+10mm cinegon and a 0.6 nd filter were great, except for the skin colours. Skin colour was very red, even though the subject was taken in the shade on a sunny day. Wittner 50D surpasses on the skin colours and sharpness. I have found images via the bolex ds-8 loaded with 100d to be less saturated and more accurate on the skin colours?

I used 100D in my Nizo 156 Macro, it read the notch perfectly and disabled the filter in either position of the switch. It exposed it correctly, even better than 64t, since it exposed it precisely as a 100ASA. Btw on the interior of the camera is an indication that states 25 or 100ASA daylight.

I shot a test roll with my Leicina Special, most of it around 5:30pm outside.

Nice dense image with medium grain and rich color. Very "filmy" looking in the best possible way. A better image than from the cheaper-looking 64 (or the horrible old 160) if not as fine in resolution as the Velvia.

A good general shooting/projecting film that won't break the bank, as these things go now.

Claus.

Edited by Claus Harding

Hi I just won a director's choice at the revel 8 film contest in Perth Western Australia, my film is titled "curiosity" and I used 100d in poor cloudy conditions. Whilst I have not received the actual film back yet, the steaming displayed very nice color given the poor light. I am sure it would have outperformed both Kodachrome 40 and Ektachrome 64t.

I think 100d should be here to stay. It is a marvelous stock with little grain.

Take a look at this stream It is the first clip (100d stock)

rtsp://streaming.ea.ecu.edu.au/projects/revel8/winners.mov

Hi.

I have shot one roll so far of the Ektachrome 100D S8 through my Sankyo CME-1100 and it turned out great on auto. I also played around with the slow motion feature and they turned out great with this film when projected on my screen. The sharpness of this film was really great even in shadow and in outdoor light the colors were really vivid. I never used the Ektrachrome 64T, but from what I can tell (based on youtube uploads), the color with this new film looks much improved. I used the camera filter plug (that disables the amber filter), but I believe it was automatically disabled anyways when I inserted the daylight balanced film cartridge. Anyways, just wanted to say awesome job to Kodak with this new film!! Glad they are still supporting this great medium!