15mm camera rail support? Can I use 14mm or 16mm rods?

Just been ringing around local steel places.

No one will do 15mm rod diameters at all. They do 14mm and 16mm and 15.88mm (5/8th inch), the hell?

I can source 15mm diameter aluminium rods off ebay from the UK.

I was just wondering, 15mm is a standard for most things with 60mm spacing right? Are there other standards? The rods are exactly 15mm yes?

Will 15mm accessories go onto 14mm or 16mm rods?

I wont to build an accessory for a support system, I was considering just getting 15mm diameter wooden dowel for this purpose.

I should have checked your location first. My metals supplier did have 15mm stock, but doesn't ship to the U.K. Why not take the other approach and ask a local machine shop to acquire the material for you. 15mm should be no problem. Aluminum or steel? They could also cut the raw material accurately to length, drill and tap the ends for you as well, so they could be coupled as needed. If you provided a dimensioned drawing, they could possibly build the entire rig for you, cheaper than you could.

• Premium Member

You can also buy the 15mm rods from Modern Studio. The rods are not on their website yet, since they just made em, but they are the threaded kind. You can buy 6", 8", 12"...etc (not exact measurments, I can't fully remember). But you can buy a bunch of other aks to have a nice rod setup.