PL Mount Zooms for Super 16mm

I am planning to buy a Super 16mm SR2 with PL mount. I expect that for most shoots I will be able to rent a set of primes as needed. However, I would like to at least have one lens of my own for personal projects, etc. A zoom seems like the reasonable way to go, but if I can find an inexpensive set of primes that would be just as well.

Based on my research so far, the Canon 8-64mm sounds the most appealing.

Obviously, I'm looking for something that covers the Super 16mm frame throughout its range and fits the PL mount (I am open to lenses adapted from bayonet mount as well).

Decent minimum focus is also important. The 5ft of some lenses just seems too far.

A T3 or faster is important.

And of course, sharpness, as always, is nice, but I realize that I could be asking a lot for an inexpensive lens. Like I said, for more important projects, I expect to rent nicer lenses, but I don't want my personal lens to be so soft it's worthless. The Angenieux 15-150mm T3.1 is intriguing for the price, but is it just too soft?

Less than $3000 would be ideal, but I'm willing to be flexible for something that will serve me well.

Any suggestions or experiences with lenses in this category to share?

And, if you have a lens for sale, feel free to convince me why I should buy it from you!

Thanks

Colton Davie

• Premium Member

Hey Colton;

While I own my own set of S16mm Primes (optar illumina which are nice lenses) I really like the Cooke Optex 10.8-60 zoom; http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProductDetail03.asp?productID=141&Cat=8&Cat2=20&Cat3=28

I had a chance to use it on a project and it held up very well; though granted I wasn't too much on the wide end of the lens. The Canon lenses are also very nice, but for me, there was something i found subliminally appealing about the cooke which I felt was lacking in the Canon glass (again that might just be me!) Worth a look though.

• Premium Member

It's probably out of your price range but for about $7000 you can pick up a well serviced Zeiss Vario-Sonar 11-110, pretty much designed for the S16 SR, which is a lovely zoom. At T2.2 it's fast, and while the focus marks only go down to 5', it will actually focus to 3'6'' without vignetting if you stay above 25mm. It also matches the S16 Zeiss Super Speeds, which may be the prime set you rent from a rental house.

Hi,

I have three lenses for sale for S16, Which i have used with my High Speed SR2.

1 - Canon 8 - 64 (Bayonet mount with PL Adapter)

2 - Carl Ziess - 12-120mm T2.4 With PL Adapter

3 - Canon 300 2.8 with doubler on universal mount.

If you are interested please offer, they are in mint condition, well looked after and recently serviced by Arri, UK.

post-47629-12814820393555.jpg

post-47629-12814818852935.jpg

Best,

Ather Ch

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have three lenses for sale for S16, Which i have used with my High Speed SR2.

1 - Canon 8 - 64 (Bayonet mount with PL Adapter)

2 - Carl Ziess - 12-120mm T2.4 With PL Adapter

3 - Canon 300 2.8 with doubler on universal mount.

If you are interested please offer, they are in mint condition, well looked after and recently serviced by Arri, UK.

post-47629-12814820393555.jpg

post-47629-12814818852935.jpg

Best,

Ather Ch

Hi i Would offer 2500 euro's for the optex converted carl zeiss 12-120mm !!

• 2 weeks later...

Re Mr. Ather Chaudhary:

I want warn all members of this forum be extremely cautious when dealing with the named member above.

This man is both a liar and a cheat. Any business that you do with him will probably result in you being left out of pocket, and or with none of the goods promised to you- and with absolutely no redress.

You have been warned!