Arri 2B

Allen Achterberg

I am about to do my first 35mm short on an Arri 2B, I've never seen this camera and dont know much about it. I know it has a viriable motor like the Arri S, my question is how steady is the image from this camera? anything I should know about it? I will be shooting 79', im just curious to hear about other's experiences with this camera.

thanks,

Allen Achterberg

If that Arri2B is in good condition (well serviced) it will produce the same steadiness as an Arri2C because it has the same movement. It was steady enough for Stanley Kubrick and David Lean, so don't worry.

Oh, and did I mention it runs L O U D ?  :blink:

yeah, i hear its a loud mofo. but I dont care.

just want steadyness

Hello there.

I own an Arri 2B. I've had good luck with the camera.

The one thing you need to remember about 2B's and 2C's is that they don't have pin registration, the film is kept steady during exposure by a pressure plate, so in that sense they are not as steady as pin-registered cameras like Arri3's. 435, etc but they still do the job if in good condition.

If you are not familiar or have never used this particular camera you should take it to a rental house and have them service it for you. it will cost you some money but it's worthy.

Hope this helps,

Francisco

]

And shoot a double exposure steadiness test, it's a good way to see what you can expect. Be sure to have the correct loop size and do not use very old film stock, shrinkage may affect registration too.

I have found that a Konvas 2M is another good MOS camera, my two Konvas cameras are definitely superior to my Arri 35 in terms of steadiness. I suppose it's the longer film gate and the long shuttle dwelling time (possible because of the smaller shutter opening).

Edited by Christian Appelt

I've shot a number of pieces with my Arri 2b that you can stream online if you have highspeed access. At www.sharpcut.com , you can click on top picture, the middle commercial, or the middle music video. You can also see a lingerie spot I shot with my 2b at www.sharpcut.com/lingerie.html I'm not the best dp, but the camera holds up pretty well.

the thing is I'm renting from some young kid fresh out of filmschool, he says it's well maintained but I personally dont know if it is or not, this has become a trust issue.

Well why don't you shoot a test?

Check it out so you're absolutely sure,

The same way you would with any other rental camera.

If you don't trust the folk whom you're renting from

Figure out if you're doubts have any validation

And if they do then you'll have plenty of time to find another camera.

Does this make any sense?

I've shot a number of pieces with my Arri 2b that you can stream online if you have highspeed access.  At www.sharpcut.com , you can click on top picture, the middle commercial, or the middle music video.  You can also see a lingerie spot I shot with my 2b at www.sharpcut.com/lingerie.html  I'm not the best dp, but the camera holds up pretty well.

DAYUM those babes were HOT! :lol: Good work, sir!

Shoot a test!

Don't view a print, have the negative projected on a big screen.

Ask the projectionist to "pull the aperture plate" on the projector, chances are that you can see the image AND the sprocket holes (of course the screen masking has to be opened wide).

Don't worry if the sprockets move up and down a bit, that's the projector's weave.

If the image on film weaves in respect to the sprocket holes (meaning indepently), the camera's registration is not really good.

The have the projectionist turn the framing knob until the black frame line is visible onscreen. Does the thickness of the frame line vary strongly? That's another sign of bad registration.

These are subjective tests, but they can tell you if steadiness is OK for what you intend. Please remember that an 2B Arriflex is not made for special effects and multiple exposures - it's a simple and rugged camera, but with a fairly simple movement.

Do a test - don't trust someone. Will he pay for film & time wasted if his camera produces faulty pictures? If not:

...do a test.

BTW: Not only the camera body, but EVERY mag that you will use on it. ;)

Take it from me, I am just half through disassembling, cleaning, lubricating and testing 12 Konvas mags... :rolleyes:

Edited by Christian Appelt

well thanks for the advice gentleman. I realy appreciate it. But after I talked to my camera owner i decided to just go to a rental house. he told me that his zoom and his 50mm prime were messed up and went to the shop, and wont be fixed in time which leaves me with a 75mm prime for the entire shoot, so I think of renting some...more money. then he tells me that it doesnt exactly shoot at 24, more like 22 and mentioned the motor sounds wild then that was it for me. I am just going to rent. Birns has got a 2C for like 120? thats less than what I'm paying him so I was going to have to rent some more lenses anyway so I'll get my Zeiss primes. this is my first embarkment so I dont want to take too many chances...I'll just spend some money. thanks again,

Allen Achterberg