hi energy reel

Ian Coad

• Premium Member

There is some really nice footage in there but It's not exactly what you call varied!

You wont get much commercial work with that reel. Also, although personally I'm a Big Joy Division fan I don't

think this works. It actually weakens the images I feel.

Your obviously a very competent cameraman but your reel needs to be more varied stylistically.

my 2cents

i'll take those two cents. thanks for taking the time to comment. varied meaning, you think i need to include more work - from more projects? i have some, i just felt it stood out quite a bit and weakened the average of the material - maybe i need to rethink that.

as for the music i spent three years in film schools with song choices popping up, being considered and then fading away - nothing seemed to be both appropriate and energetically enduring. i know i've seen a million reels with slow paced instrumental tracks - which to me personally has become really typical and boring. i've had a lot of electronic options, but they always felt a little soulless and meaningless. i'd like to hear more about why you think the current track doesn't work - i'm certainly not looking to undermine my own images.

thanks again.

- ian.

• Premium Member

i'll take those two cents. thanks for taking the time to comment. varied meaning, you think i need to include more work - from more projects? i have some, i just felt it stood out quite a bit and weakened the average of the material - maybe i need to rethink that.

as for the music i spent three years in film schools with song choices popping up, being considered and then fading away - nothing seemed to be both appropriate and energetically enduring. i know i've seen a million reels with slow paced instrumental tracks - which to me personally has become really typical and boring. i've had a lot of electronic options, but they always felt a little soulless and meaningless. i'd like to hear more about why you think the current track doesn't work - i'm certainly not looking to undermine my own images.

thanks again.

- ian.

I think It boils down to why you make a reel Ian !

Is it for yourself? your peers? Or to get work? If It's to get work and I'm a Production co. Looking for a cinematographer, 2 min.in I'm thinking OK this guy has a great eye and can light in a really gritty realistic style, but how about high key or glamour what's his commercial work like?

If you feel your other stuff wouldn't cut well It might be wise to make 2 reels or even more!

And as to music, well this is so obviously a personal choice and that's not always wise.

When I say it weakens the images I just mean that it becomes so intense & powerful that it detracts the attention from what your seeing, and if you like Joy Division that's fine! But if your a Justin Timberlake fan...I feel music for film even a short one needs Highs & lows which can dramatically enhance the footage.

What I'm saying is you need to make it easy for the viewer, and I absolutely agree about the soulless ambient nonsense you find on almost everyone's reels these day's.

Might I suggest something off Radiohead's In Rainbows.

Kieran.

Might make it a bit shorter. 3 minutes is a bit long for a "reel" in my opinion. The first part I feel like I am watching a short film, not a reel. And as Kieran suggested- more variety in shots. Demo your flexibility to shoot varied setups. And again as K said- what is your target? If you want commercial work as well you should show you can do it. Showing you can make commercial stuff look like film puts you way ahead of the pack of "videographers".

Best of luck to you!

Jim

www.theultimatehdproductions.com

Edited by Jim Ross

thanks guys. great advice. problem is that i always gravitated towards darker material, so i don't have much in the way of commerical looking footage. that's not to say that i'm not interested in doing it, its just that i don't have much of it.

i think what i'm also seeing from your responses is that the reel needs to come out of the gate faster and showcase more variety. i think i'll just remove the segmental structure and have it be a collage of images.

thanks.

-I

Guest Robert G Andrews

Nice pictures, appropriate compositions, lighting looked good to me. By the way, good choice of actors, they were convincing! Good.

• 1 month later...

thanks guys. great advice. problem is that i always gravitated towards darker material, so i don't have much in the way of commerical looking footage. that's not to say that i'm not interested in doing it, its just that i don't have much of it.

i think what i'm also seeing from your responses is that the reel needs to come out of the gate faster and showcase more variety. i think i'll just remove the segmental structure and have it be a collage of images.

thanks.

-I

Hey Ian,

I'm a little late finding this, but just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your reel. I love the look of the film you feature in the first half. I agree that more variety would be better, but I'd say in general I appreciate seeing that someone has created a consistent look and feel for a film. I prefer the format of your reel to those that are just a bombardment of random, disparate images. Anyway, maybe you've recut it already, but that's my opinion.

I just saw Control for the first time. The Transmission scene is amazing. I didn't mind at all hearing it in a reel but I can understand how it might not appeal to some people. I actually used to get a LOT of comments on the song I used on my previous reel (it doesn't suit my new footage so I got rid of it). It really made me wonder what kind of assumptions directors and producers made about me or my work, and what part of that actually drew them to me.

maya