Where does it leave me?

I normally shoot, Direct, Produce, and Edit my low budget documentaries. The project I am currently working on seemed like it needed some serious funding so I went out looking for money. It turns out that a large television corporation wants to make the project in-house. This sounds good as they have money, equipment, and crew. This is only in the begining preliminary stages. While they have expressed interest, they have not stated my place in the project. What would normally happen to a relativly new producer/director if his project were picked up and given serious funding. Do they make me a co-producer/director, associate, or try and buy me out completly so they can choose the crew? I'll hear for sure in the next day or two, but Im just wondering how much leverage I have owning the project and If I can use it to stay in a creative role on the film.

Edited by jasarsenault

• Premium Member

They'll probably want to to give you an Associate Producer credit or the like, but since you brought the idea to them, gently try to negotiate the best role you can; if you don't have many credits, you're probably better off getting less money for the concept in return for a better title, it'll serve your career in good stead in the long run.

Thanks for the advice. I never really expected this to happen. I was really excited when I started working on this project myself. I really wanted to Direct this. The problem is there is no way I can find funding besides going through the corporation. Of course, as I said, if they are going to fund it I doubt I get to keep my Director/producer role because I have never done anything of this size. While the money sounds great, I am more interested in being creatively involved.

• Premium Member

Prioritize which hats you would like to wear. Be prepared to give up some roles (e.g. editing) and fight for the one you really want (directing). Stallone was given offers to sell Rocky but he held out to star in the lead role - it made his career... Depends on how big the project is, but perhaps you'll need to get some help in the negotiating process.

Best,

theturnaround