DV Movies

Hello!

I recently watched "Open Water" a very low budget production filmed with DV cameras. I recognized that the scenes at the beginning of the movie (the part where the two main characters are still on the land) look really bad, like a homemovie. I wonder if this is due to wrong lighting because i found out that "28 Days Later" is (except the last scene) entirely shot on DV with Canon Xl1 cameras and that movie looks pretty amazing (as said i didn't realize that the movie was shot on DV before). Any helpful commentaries?

A second question.

I watched Michael Bay's Texas Chainsaw Massacre and was really impressed by the warm summer tone of the movie. I ask myself whether they used some warm filters or they did it all with color correction in postproduction!? I found no closer info on that and i would really appreciate it if someone could explain to me how they made it and (if done in PP) what kind of software they used. The only info i could find on imdb.com was Cinematographic process: Spherical ;what does it mean!?

As you can see I'm a complete newbie to cinematography.

Thanks

Andy

They used some pretty expensive prime lenses on 28 days later as well.  There's a neat article on it:

http://www.theasc.com/magazine/july03/sub/page2.html

to be fair, 28 days later was shot on the same format, BUT the DP of 28days later knew whathe waas doing and he did a good job. there really wasnt a DP on open water....just some guy trying to make a movie putting the vx model on soccer dad mode and as a result you have a horrible image.