Using out of date KODAK VISION2 500T Expression 7229 16mm film

• Premium Member

Clip test it first, and then go from there. I've used very old stocks before (I'm talking 800T and 320T visions) which was labeled by the lab "Do not shoot," and the results were what I expected. Foggy, grainy, interesting, and needing to be over-exposed at least 1 stop, generally 1.5 stops. It worked for what we were doing, which wasn't looking for "normal" images.

Adrian's advice is pretty much what I would say about overrating.

I'm curious, though. Kodak MP stock doesn't "expire." How do you know it "expired" in 2006? There is a level of base fog in a clip test that indicates a stock is too old. It varies from stock to stock or manufacturer.

So I'd appreciate your clarifying for us the method used to determine a stock had expired in '06. Did it fail a base fog test then?

Thanks everyone for the info. I believe the film has been refrigerated all it's life (from what I'm told). I don't have the film - it's something someone is selling and I was thinking of giving it a try. I sent the batch code to Kodak and they said it expired in 2006 - I'm not sure what that means now you've raised it.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

i just sat in on a telecine session this morning where we used that exact stock with short ends refrigerated from 4-5 years ago with some 200T as well.

was curious to see how differently they behaved but was pleasantly surprised to see the difference to me was barely noticeable, but then again, I don not posses the trained eye of a professional (although I am trying!).

I'm now curious to see the effects of old UN-refrigerated stock.

One thing I'd like to add, not sure why I didn't mention earlier: '29 is THE grainiest stock Kodak makes, maybe the grainiest current color neg. stock out there made for ECN-2.

So figure it will probably be as grainy probably as bad as 800T '89 was, even with an underrate. Let us know how the test goes. . .