DPX to Prores 4444 - footage go's really dark during log to Lin conversion

Phil Thompson

Hi there,

I shot some 35mm got a dpx sequence on hard-drive, opened color brought the footage in - changed header to Log and now it shows up really dark when I export to prores 4444 Is this normal? Do I just edit the dark pro res and then go back to the light Log space at the end?

So confused.

Please help

• Site Sponsor

Hi Rob,

I dont want to grade them, just want to edit it, thats why im bring the dpx sequence into color just to export as pro res 4444 to edit in FCP. Is this correct? And why does it make the footage look all contrasty and dark when its in linear space?

It is contrasty and dark because the footage is originally in LOG you can render the DPX frames directly to ProRes4444 in Color and then bring them into FCP to edit without doing a LOG -> LIN conversion and they will look right. I have a music video I am editing right now which was shot at Coney Island on S16mm and 2K scanned. I graded the footage as 2K LOG in Color and rendered as 2K ProRes4444 and I am editing it in FCP right now. I have made DVD's and H264's from FCP of this footage and it looks fine.

The color footage in this video I did went through this work-flow:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/01/18/131957821/video-premiere-the-low-anthem-ghost-woman-blues

-Rob-