Arri Bayonet mount lens to 16s body

Trej Macdonald

Is it possible to mount a lens with an Arri bayonet mount on a 16s which has the standard mount? I realise that there are locking pins in the way which prevent a simple fit, but would it be possible to grind/cut the pins off so that it simply slides into the 16s? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Better to get one of the lens ports on the camera modified to take the bayonet lens, otherwise you won't have any means if retaining the lens. Every Arri 16ST I've used had a bayonet mount port in the turret.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my ST doesnt have a bayonet mount on one of its lens ports. I only think the 16SBs had one bayonet mount (hence the 'B'). I'm pretty good at modifying things to suit my needs using stuff in my tool box so I might give it a go.

Wow. Out of curiosity I had a look at all three of the lens ports on my 16st. One of them looked completely different to the other two and appeared to be made out of a different metal. So it turns out that Brian was right. Even though my camera is not a 16SB, it has one bayonet mount. I guess this means that either my camera was modified sometime in its lifetime (I think unlikely considering it was an ex airforce camera) or it was made after 1965 when Arri introduced the bayonet mount.

• Premium Member

Wow. Out of curiosity I had a look at all three of the lens ports on my 16st. One of them looked completely different to the other two and appeared to be made out of a different metal. So it turns out that Brian was right. Even though my camera is not a 16SB, it has one bayonet mount. I guess this means that either my camera was modified sometime in its lifetime (I think unlikely considering it was an ex airforce camera) or it was made after 1965 when Arri introduced the bayonet mount.

If it has one bayonet mount in the turret, then it is an Arriflex 16S/B. That is what the S/B stood for, a turret with two Standard mounts and one Bayonet mount.

Best,

-Tim