Work in the UK.

Emma Stokes

I know what you're all thinking. "Another mindless student asking for help how to get into the business". In one aspect, I am asking this. In another way, it's not mindless.

I'm a Journalism student in the UK and I'm currently writing about news, politics and features. But I want more. I am eager to break into the TV world, but this girl needs help.

I'm looking for some work experience over the summer. To work behind the camera and to see whats going on. Whether this be filming, reality shows, dramas, adverts. ANYTHING. It's useless emailing a thousand different broadcast companies if all you get in return is 'PLEASE SEND YOUR CV AND WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU'. Then of course they don't.

I'm looking for someone who will take on an enthusiastic girl, and show her what its like to work in TV. I need someone to push me in the right direction of finding experience, and you never know, you may actually make my life.

If anyone, knows ANYONE or anything, which can help me get some experience from June onwards, please contact me. I will buy that person a beer.

Thank you.

Emma.

You should try networking at media events, some of these can be seminars or talks, some of which cost very little or even cost nothing. Even if you don't meet someone at the event, you've still learning something about the industry.

You also need something in your CV that makes you stand out from the crowd, i.e. more than attending a media course. Traditionally that could mean running the student newspaper etc, but it could also be doing something apart being student e.g. climbing expedition to Himalayas or working in the third world at one end of the spectrum.

• Premium Member

I'm probably shooting a few things this summer, if you want to hang about darkest Essex at three in the morning then feel free...

By the way, writing works and is often better paid than film and TV, so keep that up too!

P

I understand completed where Emma is coming from but I have got to the ripe old age of 29 with this situation. After completing my film degree and also doing photography and digital media qualifications I started to look for volunteer camerawork positions that took me out to Italy. I stayed there until I was 28 working on a couple of indie features and various music videos and shorts. It was a great time and I got to the basics by working as operator or assistant with 35mm, 16mm, the Varicam, the Red etc. as well as actually DPing a couple of these shoots. Thanks to connections there I also managed got to direct a feature script I had written as a very small indie film that has got a DVD release in the States even if I haven't (and probably never will!) see any money from it. Since coming back to UK at the end of 2009 I have found a complete black hole - I have volunteered for a dozen things, tried to set up shorts and projects of my own and everything has fallen through for various reasons. The closest I have been to some real work is an indie feature last year as DP that got aborted in the middle of production and DPing a student film with the Red. When I say real work I of course mean in terms of enthusiasm and passion because it has been a long time since I have actually been paid for the work that I have trained for :rolleyes:

Phil, I read your generous offer to Emma about upcoming shoots you have and wanted to volunteer myself as well to yourself or any other DP out there. I am more than willing to work in any assistance, apprentice or volunteer capacity to gain more skills and network a little - and hopefully get out of this rut :) I'm always more than willing to travel so anyone who is interested, please drop me a line.

Alex, all your projects fell through because of money. Nothing else. Everything else can be replaced with money but without money nothing can move forward. That's the problem with the UK. The film industry is not as advanced in finance as other countries.

• Premium Member

Disclaimer: I'm not a DP.

I'm sometimes a bit of a cameraman and I can convincingly play a DP on television (wander around with light meter, complain to producer about equipment budget, stand by the camera squinting critically at the scene and generally looking dissatisfied... yeah... I got it...)

P

I'm probably shooting a few things this summer, if you want to hang about darkest Essex at three in the morning then feel free...

By the way, writing works and is often better paid than film and TV, so keep that up too!

P

sureeeeeee. email?

• Premium Member

Hi Emma

Yes I did get your email, I'm currently in Las Vegas at the NAB show so things are a bit hectic.

I'm sure you probably would be very disappointed with the sort of stuff I usually get to do, but you're welcome if you like...

P

I can convincingly play a DP on television (wander around with light meter, complain to producer about equipment budget, stand by the camera squinting critically at the scene and generally looking dissatisfied... yeah... I got it...

Umm, you've just described my entire working practice.

damn!

• Premium Member

But you're in happy sunville USA, Stuart. You aren't supposed to look dissatisfied, you're supposed to observe the monitor over the top of your excellent steak dinner, collect gigantic overtime payments, and occasionally call for a massage using your latest-generation iphone.

Craft service UK style:

TOAST2.jpg

Craft service US style:

Craft+service+display+image-032a.jpg

P

I just looked for the "Like" button that is such an epic internet burn!

That's West Coast style though, Phil. Here on the East Coast we'll have at least two pigs roasting over a bonfire with naked women dancing around them (in the summer, they're scantily clad in winter), and wine flowing from a fountain (only a [u.S. 16-oz.] pint for lunch though, and a guaranteed quart [32 oz.] after overtime.

I just looked for the "Like" button that is such an epic internet burn!

That's West Coast style though, Phil. Here on the East Coast we'll have at least two pigs roasting over a bonfire with naked women dancing around them (in the summer, they're scantily clad in winter), and wine flowing from a fountain (only a [u.S. 16-oz.] pint for lunch though, and a guaranteed quart [32 oz.] after overtime.

Well, that's because your union reps aren't wussies like the one's for the Western Region. The NY and Chicago guys should run workshops on how to get sh** done.

Edited by Brian Dzyak