What does a streak filter look like?

I'm just wondering what, physically, an "anamorphic streak" filter looks like, so I can build one for a friend.

I imagine it's basically a scored piece of glass (horizontally) with the etches dyed blue. But how wide are the etches and how far apart. How many?

I'm either going to take a glass blank or resin blank for the cokin p system (depending on how much etching needs to be done), score it, then paint it with nail polish or rit dye. Worth the effort or should I just rent the vantage filter? Thanks.

• Premium Member

You could also buy:

http://www.thedopshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=95

but it looks like it has between a 1mm to 4mm spacing.

I've been wanting to buy one of these for awhile, just haven't had the chance to.

Also you can get the same effect with a piece of monofiliment in front of the lens, I'm told. if you look it up on here you should find a few posts discussing it.

Thanks, it looks like the cheaper ones are just resin or glass scratched in one direction whereas the more expensive ones (that you linked to) embed colored rods in the filter. I tried scratching grooves into glass and coloring them, but the effect didn't work at all.

I've had some luck with monofilament behind the lens, but the effect isn't that strong and once you dye it the beams are really weak. I'll try in front of the lens, or see if the director can afford to rent or buy what you posted above.

I tried with thin fishing line in vertical on a 50mm and it work.White horizantal flare,but works.

You can try with some blue color like this one:

http://web.tradekorea.com/upload_file2/sell/68/S00025268/Dyneema_Braid_Fishing_Line.jpg

In any case,it make horizontal streak but don´t looks like anamorphic.

Also you can add a oval diaphragm filter in front or back the lens, you can make it with a black cardboard cutting a small oval circle in the center. The oval bokeh could looks more anamorphic that the streak.

Like this,but with oval instead of heart http://d2o7bfz2il9cb7.cloudfront.net/main-qimg-67a4f9b6aa6b5cf7482a3de6069800d0

My 2 cents ;)

Thanks, Roberto; I have used the stretched oval bokeh trick before. I'm doing this as a favor for a friend and don't know the his budget. Could be big enough for a real anamorphic kit; could be small enough that I'd need a DIY solution, but I want to be prepared for any situation.

I put together a home made solution with 5mm spacing of dyed fishing line. Proud of myself I was able to get results this good, but the effect is much too weak except in ultra-high contrast situations, such as that below. Don't think the director will accept it since it's supposed to be a very extreme effect, but I might use it some day, who knows.

post-10185-0-75920800-1304448727.jpg

post-10185-0-95821400-1304448734.jpg