New Barry Lyndon Blu-ray is 1.85:1

The new Barry Lyndon Blu-ray is presented (according to the packaging) in 1.85:1, however most Kubrick fans believe it was intended to be shown 1.66:1.

Blogger Glenn Kenny has uncovered a letter that Kubrick signed and delivered to exhibitors asking them to project it at 1.66:1, the aspect ratio it was photographed in.

View the letter here.

Yes, a rather amusing thread of comments re the "1-1:75", that being a non standard aspect ratio at the time (there being no close 16:9). I wonder if there was a series of tests run at the time to check this figure for those theatres that had quirky projector masks, perhaps as 1:66/1;85 one size fits all.

I believe quite a few films have a 1.66 camera gate, even though they're framed for 1.85.

I've worked films that have an open gate, while framing for 1.85... saved retakes because hairs. Although it did cause problems with one short where at one venue the projectors only had 1.33 and black velvet had to be hung to give the 1.85 ratio. Doing that saved the embarrassment of seeing the boom mic coming into frame during one shot - safe up to 1:66, but not 1:33.

BTW "Badlands" does a good full mic boom across the top of the frame in one wide shot when screened at 1.33.

I believe quite a few films have a 1.66 camera gate, even though they're framed for 1.85.

I've worked films that have an open gate, while framing for 1.85... saved retakes because hairs. Although it did cause problems with one short where at one venue the projectors only had 1.33 and black velvet had to be hung to give the 1.85 ratio. Doing that saved the embarrassment of seeing the boom mic coming into frame during one shot - safe up to 1:66, but not 1:33.

BTW "Badlands" does a good full mic boom across the top of the frame in one wide shot when screened at 1.33.

I remember the film COMA with Genevieve Bujold had an extremely obvious boom mike in one shot when shown in 1.33:1 that seemed to last forever .

One of the rep theater in Montreal had a habit of showing films in 1.33:1. Saw The Shining there. To the best of my recollection, it was perfect, except for the notorious helicopter rotor blades in the opening!

Cheers,

Jean-Louis