working in NYC

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

I decided to take an offer to shoot a TV series in NYC, a six-month job. I've previously declined such offers but with the industry in Los Angeles being so slow right now, it seemed foolish not to take the job.

It's a series called "Smash" for NBC/DreamWorks, a number of people involved in "United States of Tara" are connected with this one, hence how I got involved. It's sort of a backstage musical, a look at the creation of a Broadway show from the perspectives of various key people. The pilot was beautifully shot by Shelly Johnson, ASC on the ARRI Alexa.

I'll probably be living and working in the north end of Brooklyn. This is a big deal, moving somewhere for half a year. My wife and two dogs are moving with me, which is a first, but this is the longest out-of-town shoot I will have done to date so it will be nice to have them around.

Haha, thought this was a student post, quite a surprise to see it is you David.

You MUST join the never-ending attempt at beers, meetup in NYC. Think the thread has been running at least three years. . . without success. I know going from Eastern Region to LA you have to get on a roster, proving experience.

Would you be willing/able to explain how the reverse procedure works of changing regions?

Had a chance to see an Arri Alexa up close at ACVL this past week. Beautiful, sleek camera (although I'd still take 5213 or '19 (or Eterna/VIvid)over it any day if I could!)

Any particular reason for a slowdown in LA this time of year?

• Premium Member

I'm not changing regions, I'm being treated as a non-local, which means I get a housing allowance, travel, I get paid for a few hours on weekends off as idle days, etc.

I don't know why it's so slow in Los Angeles right now; I guess those tax breaks are still working in a lot of other states to draw people away. This show is actually set in NYC so it makes sense to shoot it there.

One of the big rental houses told me that studio features have gone down almost 50% in the past three years according to their books, and that's not just in Los Angeles.

One of the big rental houses told me that studio features have gone down almost 50% in the past three years according to their books, and that's not just in Los Angeles.

yes, they're all being shot in London these days! Arri and Panalux London are having a cracking time!