What is a super16 camera worth over reg16 only camera ?

Chris Millar

Ok,

I'm trying to figure the worth of any given 16mm camera system if it is offered in super16/reg16 over just the straight regular16 model

Keeping in mind "all other things being equal" and I dont mean simply "the cost of a conversion on top of the regular16 camera"

I mean in real - ebay/private sale - terms...

Think of it more in the terms of relative worth in todays market value system for cameras that are offered in both systems regularly (forget oddballs that are near impossible to convert for instance)

I was thinking its somewhere between the same price and double - maybe 1.5x ?

What are you thoughts ?

Yes, I'm trying to sell a conversion rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

• Premium Member

This is a hard question to answer because it is different with each camera. For instance, a K3 with a Super 16mm conversion might only be worth a little more (IMO) but a better camera like a CP16R with the conversion can jump from around $1,000 to possibly $4,000 if it is a serviced camera with recelled batteries.

Most cameras would at least have a 2x multiplier if they are otherwise a solid camera package (sync motor, 400' mags, semi quiet, etc.)

• Premium Member

Since reg. 16mm has no real value anymore, other than being a collector's piece, I don't know how much discussion there can be about it. At this point you'd be lucky to sell at all. There are full Aaton prod's in perfect shooting condition that would have been worth $20-30,000 a few years back that now can't even sell for $6000.

Thank the lack of affordable HD telecine for this one.

• Premium Member

Also the lack of a large market because the HD broadcasters regard Super 16 as standard def.

Which is funny considering the TV shows like: Monk, Friday Night Lights, Walking Dead, Lincoln Heights, Men of a Certain Age, (and Falling Skies?) are all S16mm and all shown in HD. Monk really is a great example of how clean it can be if that is what's wanted.

Poor compression can/is killing the experience though, often even on 35mm.

• Premium Member

I wouldnt go so far as to imply that S16 has little worth or even that R16 has no worth. This depends on the intended usage. There are some indie filmmakers that still care about quality and find it worth the money to shoot on film (albeit even R16) to get the DR and look that only film can offer. To those people, broadcasting standards dont mean d*ck. They are looking to telecine and go the fest route and they are highly successful as I am sure fest programmers get tired of seeing the nauseating succession of DSLR originated "films."