Loading film with infrared light ?

Hi everybody,

Just as said in the tittle, i was wondering if loading 50' B&H magazines under infrared camera is possible without causing damage to the film ?

B&H magazines are very special and very difficult to load it without looking just a bit...

I poligise for my poor english.

Philippe

You do need to be a bit careful in case the IR lamps are giving off any visible light. You could test a short length of a fast B/W stills neg by leaving it under the lamp for a few minutes with a coin placed over the middle of the film and then developing it to see if there is an image of the coin. This is the standard way to test a safelamp in a photographic darkroom.

Brian

• Premium Member

I'd have thought the issue would be light from the video monitor. What's the plan, do it inside a changing bag with a cable run to the outside world?

Most IR illuminators will be LEDs which very definitely can emit some very deep visible red light.

P

I'd have thought the issue would be light from the video monitor. What's the plan, do it inside a changing bag with a cable run to the outside world?

Most IR illuminators will be LEDs which very definitely can emit some very deep visible red light.

P

Probably a bit difficult to set up an IR camera inside a changing bag, but you could adapt a 'dark box' ( as used by high street minilabs ), or make one large enough to take a camera or magazine ( you could even use a wireless CCTV camera nowadays ).

IR LED's are very suitable as IR illuminators as they have a narrow peak in the IR region, are quite bright and will never emit visible light.

Personally I use IR goggles in the darkroom :ph34r:

John S

• Premium Member
will never emit visible light.

This is definitely not true for all types of IR LED. I've seen infra-red emitters for things like auditorium sound systems (for people with hearing problems) in cinemas and theatres emit really quite a lot of very deep red visible light. So, this could be a dangerous assumption.

There are, I believe, near IR and deep IR types, and the choice is clear.

P

This is definitely not true for all types of IR LED. I've seen infra-red emitters for things like auditorium sound systems (for people with hearing problems) in cinemas and theatres emit really quite a lot of very deep red visible light. So, this could be a dangerous assumption.

There are, I believe, near IR and deep IR types, and the choice is clear.

P

As it happens I've seen cinema 'IR' emitters with a deep, dark red light too Phil, so maybe they use different types of LED's ( with a wider bandwidth ) for maximum coverage ?

'Proper' IR LED's start to radiate from 880nm peaking at around 940nm whereas most colour and B&W film will be sensitive up to around 700nm - 750nm.

John S

One set-up I once saw used IR-pass filters from still photographic suppliers (may have been Hoya, but a few years have passed now) over the emitters... seemed to work fine.

Actually you can use several layers of unexposed and processed reversal film over a lamp to use as an IR light source.

John S

Hi everybody,

Just as said in the tittle, i was wondering if loading 50' B&H magazines under infrared camera is possible without causing damage to the film ?

B&H magazines are very special and very difficult to load it without looking just a bit...

I poligise for my poor english.

Philippe

It's alway's best to put into practice loading a mag without using any special lighting equipment. Just practice it till you know it like your toothbrush. Also, you have to ask yourself; "What if I don't have any special light to aid me in loading the magazine?" You have to know your tools.

Edited by vargavision

Thanks everybody for so many answers.

I will try ASAP.

Of course it is better to know how to load a magazine, BUT B&H 50' magazine are VERY special ones, very little and quite uncomfortable to load.

In fact, i have seen a big black charging box with a IR camera in it at a military base where missiles were filmed by high speed cameras. And, of course, somme problems of jamming, I suppose...

But I was wondering if it would be very special military camera, or standard.

So, I will buy a cheap IR led camera, and see what happen...

In case it's easy to do, B&H 50' magazine cameras could be a poor man Ikonoscop...!