Punk Exterminator Western Horror Film {Canon 5D}

Steve Daniels

I wanted to invite you all to view my 4 min HDSLR short horror film "T is for Termite." It was done in the pulpy spirit of Robert E. Howard's weird horror western tales. It's about a crust punk exterminator that goes into abandoned houses to clear them of unspeakable termite monstrosities.

Generally a Super 8mm filmmaker, this is my second HDSLR short film and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I have found many useful tips and inspiration from this forum, so I thank you all for supporting it. The film was shot on the Canon 5D using Technicolor's Cinestyle for all Daylight scenes, and Neutral look setting for all interior. All footage was then graded in post.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I appreciate any critical feedback.

Steve Daniels

• 3 weeks later...

You've put an incredible amount of work into the film and well done for that...it's the only way to make films!

Nice that it's a complete story too...so many shorts seem to be like a clip from something bigger, one observation though...and it's an observation not a criticism...

I wonder how much better the atmosphere of your film would have been if it had been shot on film ( 16mm or even 8mm )...for a semi horror flick the footage from the dslr

seems very clean and sharp...or it may be that it was shot in bright daylight. I always expect things lurking in the shadows in suspense and horror. As I said my own observations, not a criticism.

Keep up the hard work...

• Premium Member

Heh, I quite liked that.

The only direct criticism I would offer is that the opening shots of the guy sitting by the fire are overexposed, with the sky blown out. I don't know what you did by way of grading, but I might have gone warmer, since it's supposed to be the south, with connotations of heat and dryness that are relevant to the plot.

Otherwise yes, it's a hell of a lot better than 95% of short films.

You've put an incredible amount of work into the film and well done for that...it's the only way to make films!

Nice that it's a complete story too...so many shorts seem to be like a clip from something bigger, one observation though...and it's an observation not a criticism...

I wonder how much better the atmosphere of your film would have been if it had been shot on film ( 16mm or even 8mm )...for a semi horror flick the footage from the dslr

seems very clean and sharp...or it may be that it was shot in bright daylight. I always expect things lurking in the shadows in suspense and horror. As I said my own observations, not a criticism.

Keep up the hard work...

Hey Rob

Thank you for taking the time to watch the film and offering your thoughts. I whole heartily agree, the film would have seemed far creepier if shot on film. In fact, I shot a previous short film, "the gibbering horror of howard ghormley" {see link below} at this same 1800's farm house on super 8mm, and it did read much creepier. Shooting it on DSLR came down to budget and light sensitivity. Lighting interiors for super 8 film was insane...and hot. Ha. Thanks again.

Heh, I quite liked that.

The only direct criticism I would offer is that the opening shots of the guy sitting by the fire are overexposed, with the sky blown out. I don't know what you did by way of grading, but I might have gone warmer, since it's supposed to be the south, with connotations of heat and dryness that are relevant to the plot.

Otherwise yes, it's a hell of a lot better than 95% of short films.

Hey Phil

I appreciate your time and the kind words. I was going for that low chroma, washed out, blown out {Ha...it's good BS excuse anyway} post apocalyptic look.

• 2 months later...