Now Stephen Williams has been banned!

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

Humph. Seems once they've got your money they think they can do what they like :lol:

I've just finished reading through all 7 pages of this thread from the last time Stephen was banned.

There was a line in there somewhere from Jim Jannard to the effect that Stephen is "never going to find out how well a Red MX or Epic performs", which I suppose was meant to imply that he as a "Bad attitude"; maybe he's just realized his error :rolleyes:

OK I realize that people like me and Phil Rhodes can change the laws of physics by simply posting in a forum, and so there may be some rationale in trying to silence us, but surely Stephen doesn't come into that category.

I don't know if I'm more saddened, or outraged. I think I'll go with saddened.

No - make that outraged,

(Nods vigorously) Yeah, outraged....

• Premium Member

Humph. Seems once they've got your money they think they can do what they like :lol:

I've just finished reading through all 7 pages of this thread from the last time Stephen was banned.

There was a line in there somewhere from Jim Jannard to the effect that Stephen is "never going to find out how well a Red MX or Epic performs", which I suppose was meant to imply that he as a "Bad attitude"; maybe he's just realized his error :rolleyes:

OK I realize that people like me and Phil Rhodes can change the laws of physics by simply posting in a forum, and so there may be some rationale in trying to silence us, but surely Stephen doesn't come into that category.

I don't know if I'm more saddened, or outraged. I think I'll go with saddened.

No - make that outraged,

(Nods vigorously) Yeah, outraged....

I wished Tim Witcomb 'Good luck with that' he responded by calling me a *anker and asked that I should be banned. The Ban is till Wednesday night so I will miss the Scarlet Big announcement.

He wrote to me a PM "you are by the biggest *sshole on here and about 10,000 other redusers agree", he had also been informed that I don't own a camera.

Funny thing is I have been enjoying using the camera, almost everything I shoot for clients is at 120 fps, only complaint is why can't it record sound at 120!

I wished Tim Witcomb 'Good luck with that' he responded by calling me a *anker and asked that I should be banned. The Ban is till Wednesday night so I will miss the Scarlet Big announcement.

He wrote to me a PM "you are by the biggest *sshole on here and about 10,000 other redusers agree", he had also been informed that I don't own a camera.

Funny thing is I have been enjoying using the camera, almost everything I shoot for clients is at 120 fps, only complaint is why can't it record sound at 120!

Well, there is at least one among other 10,000 redusers who can properly say 'he' is used to read (and learn) everything we can from this contributor, you, Stephen W. BTW, one of the best there, as usual and also often said.

Cheers from Mediterranean/Adriatic,

Emanuel :-)

Edited by Emanuel A

(PS II:) Now as message to anyone who may come here to read it.

These online disputes between 'apples' vs 'oranges' are the most stupid thing I've ever read. I thought I wouldn't need to come to my fourties to see people forgetting the most basic rule to be a man or a woman. We should never send to anyone in a public forum or distant from a keyboard somewhere else, what we are not able to say face to face in the real world. Facts speak outside. Higher and loudly. Stephen has had my vote not to be banned from reduser, but to be elected there to mod. No more, no less.

Is it really imPOrtant that you own a Red then, rather than just renting one?

I can't afford to buy one, but if I rent one, then that's not the same thing at all I guess?

love

Freya

• Premium Member

I can't afford to buy one, but if I rent one, then that's not the same thing at all I guess?

love

Freya

It's a Reduser mentality that only owners have anything worth saying. Of course what the non owners like David Mullen say is more important than people with a horse in the race.

Last week I shot 35mm, F3, Epic & an EX3, so I am still using what is right for the job, I wish to be booked as a DP, not as a camera owner. I don't even mention that I own an Epic on my website.

• Premium Member

love

Freya

The RED only reveals it's secret powers to Owner/Operators. All you "Renters" can't possibly understand the true experience that is RED

Hey Stephen, anyone who can't appreciate your generosity in sharing your decades of experience, is a f*#king moron. Which sums up my opinion of so many of the wonderful folks at Reduser.

Best to you all,

-Tim

I got to page 2 or so then skipped to the last ... not the reduser thread, but the one you link from this site

weird...

• Premium Member

I got to page 2 or so then skipped to the last ... not the reduser thread, but the one you link from this site

weird...

As I get any information I need directly from Technical support at Red, so I am really not inconvenienced or bothered in any way.

EDIT The Ban has been lifted, so business as usual!

Best Stephen

I was more referring to the post editing and user account suspension on this site... that occurred in a thread regarding the same on another site.

Like a snake ate its own tail, then a snake next to it decided that was a reasonable idea so put its tail in the first ones mouth

• Premium Member

I was more referring to the post editing and user account suspension on this site... that occurred in a thread regarding the same on another site.

Like a snake ate its own tail, then a snake next to it decided that was a reasonable idea so put its tail in the first ones mouth

I am not really sure the full details or even if even saw all the posts, I was working away from home at the time with only an Iphone for internet access. I looked at the last 2 pages & clearly there was a very reasonable conversation going on with Jim Jannard.

It's very rare for any editing of posts here, I am a mod in this forum & can't edit posts, I can delete or close the thread.

• Premium Member

love

Freya

Rarely simply a matter of affording.

For the true working pro there are many advantages to renting:

• Rental fees are usually 100% tax deductable
  • Depreciation, upgrading, secure storage etc is borne by the rental company
  • Upkeep of the equipment is the responsibility of the rental company
  • The rental company is responsible for supplying replacement equipment if any of it goes down
  • No complications disposing of assets when the company formed to make the project is dissolved upon completion.
  • The hirer usually has access to a greater range of cameras and accessories than you normally get from an owner-operator.

Generally, larger rental companies tend to be more expensive, but their equipment is usually more reliable and more up-to-date and with a greater range.

Smaller companies are often cheaper, but come with less "wriggle room" when something goes wrong.

If like Stephen, you have a regular clientele who "order" more or the less the same thing each time, you can do well as an owner-operator. Otherise it can be a chancey business, as the bills keep coming in, regardless of whether your inventory is getting any work. You also need people skills, which many wannabes seem to be lacking.

What I find disturbing is the frightening number of would-be Spielbergs on Reduser and elsewhere who seem unshakeably convinced that all the need is a (cheap) camera, so they can make up the script as they go along and more or less work at their own pace. (Or when they do have a script, they don't actually need to work out ahead of time exactly how each scene will be shot). Typically they get about 90 seconds of a project edited and it stalls there.

They also appear to have no idea why people would prefer to rent rather than own their own equipment.

I've shown numerous schoolkids how to make video projects for class assignemnts, using proper industry production procedures (proper shooting scripts, pre-arranged take counts, "rushes Screenings" etc). They're invariably amazed (appalled even) when we don't actually start shooting the first (or even the second!) day. But at the end of the project, they have something that looks at least approximately like something you'd see on TV, whereas everybody else in the class has the usual drawn-out boring incomphrensible drivel characteristic of wannabe film makers.

One thing I've learned: it's a damned sight easier to teach girls to use a diciplined, industry-type approach than boys, which might explain why production company admin staff are so overwhelmingly often female :D

For the same reason, «is it really important that you rent a camera then, rather than just owning one?»

BTW, if it just depends on the market segment you are or your business is, it is rather certain that a lot of RED owners make money with others to rent them.

Peace,

Emanuel :-)

• Premium Member

The Ban is till Wednesday night so I will miss the Scarlet Big announcement.

If this happens again, just clear your cookies folder and you can visit the Reduser site as a "guest"!

Maybe he has you confused with me. :rolleyes:

(How does he know "10,000 others" agree? Has he counted them?)

It's actually "Whitcomb" not "Witcomb", so at first I thought he'd been completely exterminated from Reduser, but no.

However I can't find the post you refer to, so perhaps that was deleted.

Maybe this was all just a publicity stunt; nobody has posted in the RED folder for weeks! What if Nov 3 came and went, and nobody commented? :lol: