Arriflex S16 battery and charger

Kristian Nomedal

Hello!

I'm new here! I have a deep interest in films and I resently bought an Arriflex S16mm camera (only the camera house) It has a 12 volt motor. The problem is that I haven't got any lens, battery or charger for my camera! Where would you recommend me to buy a lens, battery and charger! I bought the camera from eBay! I'm not certain to buy a used battery on eBay!? When I turn the wheel on the motor everything works mechanically!

So, I'm very new on the topic! I'm still a student and my dream is to become a cinematographer and work in the movies!

Best Regards from Kristian N. in Norway

Edited by Kristian Nomedal

• Premium Member

For lenses, look on ebay. You can make a battery using a computer UPS gel cell, and use an ordinary charger from an auto parts place. You just have to be careful not to overspeed it, since you'll have 12 Volts instead of 8.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Kristian,

Congratulations on your new camera. You can find out lots on information on the Arriflex 16S at the web site below:

Arri16S.com

Ebay is a good place to look for lenses, and there are a number of places that make 12 volt rechargeable battery packs. Do a Google Search. There is a place here in the States that sell lenses for your camera, though the cost of shipping to Norway might be too much.

Visual Products

Best of luck with your new camera and your cinematography career.

Best,

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...

....a computer UPS gel cell, and use an ordinary charger from an auto parts place. You just have to be careful not to overspeed it...

-- J.S.

Hey John.

I have the same problem regarding batteries.

Can you let us know exactly what models of batteries/charger can we use?

I'm not savvy on electrical, so need help.

I've found this one but not sure what amp, etc....? I'd need oen that could be compact, to use in shoulder with a strap...

I'll be using a 12V motor and Mag Motor as well...

Another thing... What do you mean by "not overspeed"? is there a limit of FPS to use the battery to don't burn the motor?

I have a tobin TMS23-A variable speed. What would be the pros and cons to have a motor like this?

Also, I've heard that acid batteries can cause problems in Arri 16d. And that the best is to use NiCad batteries....

Sorry so many questions. Just trying to get the thing done here.

OK...

I believe this both can be a good solution. Please let me know your thoughts.

http://www.batteryspace.com/nicdbatterypack12v5ahdx10forsolarpanelemergencylighting.aspx

http://www.batteryspace.com/multi-currentuniversalsmartchargerfor96v-18vnimhbatterypackstamiyaplugullisted.aspx

But I need to mount it together, with a female 4-pin connector (in my case, for my cable extension).

Do any of ou know what else would I need? A led light, On/OFF button? Not sure where to find these, neither how to mount them, so any tips is precious now.

Thanks,

Flavio

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but as there have been confusion regarding the voltage of the Arri 16s motors, I would like to add some info here:

From the day 12 Volt Motors became available for the Arri 16 ST (16 S and 16 S/B ), Arri used to engrave "12 V" or "12 Volt" into the housing of these motors.

Motors without such an engraving or any voltage engraving at all are always intended for use at a voltage of 8V.

If you use an 8 V governor controlled 24fps or 25fps motor with a 12 Volt battery, you will notice smell immediately. It once happened to me, but luckily the motor survived this mistreatment.

The same applies to the auxilary film magazines: all non "12 Volt"-engraved motors are intended for usage at 8 Volt.

If you have one of the newer version of the variable speed or governor controlled motor that have a transistor on the outer shell (these were available in 8 Volt and 12 Volt as well), you must be very careful not to mix up the polarity of your power source, because otherwise the transitor will burn out.

Edited by Peter Heinemann

Just an odd little followup to this threa, but does anyone know where to get a power connector to plug into the back of the Arri? Just the connector, or something that can be easily modified to work (less than 10 minutes). I don't want to buy a cable (~$100 on ebay) and I don't have one.

Thanks!

Zac - Some old projector cords are pretty close to the Arriflex plug. I made a cut between the contacts, inserted a piece of rubber to get the right spacing and then taped the plug back together. I also had to spread one of the contacts slightly to fit over the larger male pin on the camera. I use this cable with one 9.6 volt RC battery (suggested by Tim Carrol) and it works great and stays in the plug socket just fine.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

I'm planning on using some old Quantum 2 flash batteries. They're 8V gel cell lead acid batteries, and I have a few lying around.

I'll keep looking through old cables and see if I can come up with something. I don't have any projector cords, but I do have old power cords and such.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Does anyone know where I can buy a The ARRI Governor Controlled Motor with transistor?

The mechanically governed motors are pretty common. As Zac says, look on eBay. The ones with the transistor are a bit more rare.

If properly adjusted, both work about the same. Just make sure to stick to 8 volts or you'll burn the motor out.

Best,

-Tim