Shooting a spaceship cockpit on 35mm with 500T

hi there,

I'm about to shoot a spaceship cockpit sequence. Two actors separated by a control column, with decorated walls. Shooting into the corner. with 18mm lens. Checkerboard floor (don't ask). black walls. One actress is painted gold (shes a robot) and the other one in black. Lens is slow 3.4f-stop.

Any tips on how to shoot this? Its mostly wide with some close-ups?

cheers

p

• Premium Member

hi there,

I'm about to shoot a spaceship cockpit sequence. Two actors separated by a control column, with decorated walls. Shooting into the corner. with 18mm lens. Checkerboard floor (don't ask). black walls. One actress is painted gold (shes a robot) and the other one in black. Lens is slow 3.4f-stop.

Any tips on how to shoot this? Its mostly wide with some close-ups?

cheers

p

You need to get the art department to build as many practical sources into the set as possible.

You need to get the art department to build as many practical sources into the set as possible.

Hi David.

Yep, they've been putting drilling lots and lots of holes into the wooden background and poking through LED fairy lights. So wev've got lots of pin prick tiny sources flashing all over the places. Plus we've got a fruit machine, laid on its back with its flashing lights and some old analog editing gear sprayed black which flashes. My only concern is the slow lens. Do I really only need to make the faces of the actors exposed correctly and let everything else fall off into the background?

p

hi,

attached is an awful WIP shot of the area we are shooting into. To be added is a checkerboard floor, 2 lounger type chairs (either side of the center console). Two actors. A TV monitor displaying graphics will be on the wall next to the square at the back. I want to try and keep it as dark as possible and illuminate our two actors. I have an 18mm lens for the wide and a 35mm for getting up close.

Any thoughts would be so kindly received.

p

• Premium Member

Well, without knowing what the scene is about I can't much answer. I am assuming the golden girl is shiny; in which case she'll pick up most of the LEDs ect. I would key the other actor, similarly to a car, motivating lighting with a control panel. If i'd've had my way in such a situation, I'd make transparencies and "project" them onto the main character. Elsewise, I'd hit them with rim lights ect and let most of them go dark. That's just me, and my first interpretation.