How long can a 16mm Loaded on camera be used for?

flavio filho

I've loaded a 100ft spool of a Kodak B/W 100iso on my Bolex Rex 5

I used part of film for a shooting this weekend. But I still have around 50ft to use in about 2 weeks.

My question is... HOW LONG can a 100ft spool stay inside a camera body and still be used without loosing its full capabilities?

Thanks,

Flavio

I've loaded a 100ft spool of a Kodak B/W 100iso on my Bolex Rex 5

I used part of film for a shooting this weekend. But I still have around 50ft to use in about 2 weeks.

My question is... HOW LONG can a 100ft spool stay inside a camera body and still be used without loosing its full capabilities?

Thanks,

Flavio

You shouldn't have any issues with the schedule you discussed.

According to Panavision, you should be fine as long as you get the processed film into the lab

within a month or so of purchasing the film. Apparently, the chemistry of motion picture film is less stable

than still photographic film. Usually at the end of a picture, left over film is sold for short-ends rather than

kept for long periods of time.

-Jerry Murrel

CineVision AR

Little Rock

Edited by Jerry Murrel

You shouldn't have any issues with the schedule you discussed.

According to Panavision, you should be fine as long as you get the processed film into the lab

within a month or so of purchasing the film. Apparently, the chemistry of motion picture film is less stable

than still photographic film. Usually at the end of a picture, left over film is sold for short-ends rather than

kept for long periods of time.

-Jerry Murrel

CineVision AR

Little Rock

Hi Jerry

Thanks a lot.

So, you mean by "purchasing the film" actually "open and loading into camera"?

I'd have no more than a month to end shooting? Then I have to send it to be processed...

Just to be sure I got it right.

;)

F

Edited by flavio filho

• Premium Member

You could potentially leave that roll of B&W in the Bolex for years and then shoot the last 50ft. and it would be just fine.

As long as you don't forget it is there and open the camera!

Time to keep film is a bit different depending on what sort of Movie making you are doing. If you are using a Panavison unit, you are probably doing a "full blown" feture type production where you might have to intercut shots made at the start and end of the shoot a couple of months apart. Fred is talking to Joan in a shot done on the back lot, but Joan replies in a shot taken in front of Toronto City hall standing in for some other building taken in a two week location trip. (Toronto always stands in for some other location)

There you really have to be fussy about keeping things stable.

Now you have a roll of B&W in a Bolex, you will shoot the rest of it probably in different light anyway. The very least the action is not be inter-cut with your first 50 feet. That takes a lot of pressure off. Kodak says that they plan on Movie film being used in 6 Months from the time they ship it, but there still films which use the same technology have a 2 to 3 year best before date. So yes, Use it within the year, even if only to get your camera back.

I actually was doing a small test recently where I took a roll of 7222 out of my Fridge and shot a few feet in an Very old 16mm Auricon camera just to see if the Camera worked. I shot and processed the test in October but according to the date code (KA) the film was made in 2004. see Auricon Camera test

Edited by Charles MacDonald

I actually was doing a small test recently where I took a roll of 7222 out of my Fridge and shot a few feet in an Very old 16mm Auricon camera just to see if the Camera worked. I shot and processed the test in October but according to the date code (KA) the film was made in 2004. see Auricon Camera test

Interesting. Just how do you read the date code?

I think it was negative but I will have to see if Bill in the B&W department remembers what it was.

-Rob-

Processing reversal b&w as neg will be grainy - you're keeping the exposed silver that was meant to be washed away and for whatever reason it is grainier (better sensitivity??)

I have a features worth (with borderline ok shooting ratio) of 25 year old plus-x here - processes quite well in reversal, neg is grainy

• Premium Member

Interesting. Just how do you read the date code?

It is part of the edge print.

On the current Keycode coded films it is a part of the emulsion code. on print and some reversal films it is actually shown as a year. On Pre-key-code stock they used a series of Symbols which repeated over a 20 year cycle with a few Expections.

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Tools/Post_Production/Keykode/id.htm has the table of years for "Modern" film near the bottom of the page.

• 3 weeks later...

It is part of the edge print.

On the current Keycode coded films it is a part of the emulsion code. on print and some reversal films it is actually shown as a year. On Pre-key-code stock they used a series of Symbols which repeated over a 20 year cycle with a few Expections.

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Tools/Post_Production/Keykode/id.htm has the table of years for "Modern" film near the bottom of the page.

Though it must be noted that some of the Year Codes are the same as some of the Stock ID Codes - so in this case, "KA" following the emulsion numbers at the end of the human-readable section between the Keykode barcodes indicates manufacture in 2004. If the "KA" was at the start of the large-text section immediately before a barcode, it would indicate that the stock in question was Eastman Colour Intermediate Film 5/7243.

It makes sense in time :P