Contrast/color shift when exporting ProRes??

Vincent Sweeney

• Premium Member

Advice would be much appreciated on this!

I exported a 2 minute scene from a 1080 ProRes HQ timeline, and made it into the same ProRes HQ 1080 file. Filters had been applied and rendered out fully in the timeline.

It's pretty obvious that the new file, when played back, has a contrast and saturation shift. The shadows were bought up and are slightly milky/more grainy, and the color has faded slightly. I assume this is pretty common when dealing with FCP. Is there a known fix or am I doing something wrong? Why would the codec-matching exported file not look exactly the same as my timeline footage?

• 1 month later...

Hi, what are your sequence settings? Go to Sequence Settings > Video processing and look at your color processing settings. Are you rendering YUV or RBG? Also, are you able to view your quicktime via a hardware device such as a Kona or Decklink card via HDSI to a calibrated HDSI monitor? If you re import the clip into final cut, are you able to confirm the color shift using the built in vectorscope?

Joshua

Curious now... how does everyone export out of FCP?

My typical process is FCP, send to color, send back to FCP, then export movie and work in compressor from there. And my timeline/footage settings are regular ProRes, 1080p. I haven't noticed any issues yet, but then again, my eyes probably aren't that sharp for these things yet.