Chamois

Hey all,

Is there an actual difference between an optical lens chamois and the ones you can find at a store like blick? If so, what kind of chamois should I be looking for? I'm trying to put my 2cd ac gear kit together - I'd appreciate any tips on where to get quality tools, but that aren't over priced.

Thanks much -N

You need to use your full real name, it's one of the rules.

I'd buy this type of stuff from a store that supplies the industry, it's petty cash compared to the cost of the glass ware you're cleaning. Personally I don't use chamois, but any I've seen being used looks finer the type you use for washing windows.

You can get similar tools at DIY stores or tool suppliers.

• 3 months later...

When I started 2nd'ing which I still do.

I would go on filmtools and get a rough understanding on what may be needed on set.

I would start by asking your first. Who knows you might be doubling up on tools. Most 1st's that I have worked for tells me after the first day that we don't need 2 cinebags, and keep my tool bag on the truck and load his/hers on the carts.

If you're building a kit, ask your 1st. I'm sure he/she will help unless you over sold yourself.

Forgot to mention: after I searched on filmtools and sourced out at the local tool stores.

A must in my pouch:

Multi-tool (leatherman-skeleton)

Stubby

Cheap precision pen (Philip & Srewdriver)

Velcro clinch

Bubble leveler

And of course,

Insert slate

Kleenslate marker

Extra china markers ( dressed with Velcro) white and yellow - colors to see at night

Lens pen

Microfiber

Bongo ties

Sharpie

Torch (flashlight)

Rocket

Also strapped to my waist,

16' hard tape

50' soft tape

Distanc finder laser ( if my 1st uses it)

My paper tape