GAF 2962

I was just given a 400' roll of 16mm GAF 2962 black and white reversal film. There's no film speed marked on the canister, nor is there an expiration date (although there is a space for one). Has anyone ever used this film, and more importantly, does anyone have any clue as to starting points for exposure?

If you're geared up for B/W neg processing I'd do a clip test in a developing tray to see if you get an image with maybe +1 and 2 stops, or maybe you know someone who could do that. It'd be a shame to throw away good film. You could keep it for tests.

I will stick to my Guns it has to be over 40 years old a 500asa reversal stock would now be just a lot of grey grain.

Yup, especially bad news it's reversal as it probably won't survive the bleach. Reckon you should try cross processing as negative. Maybe in caffenol. Then if you get some kind of pictures you can colour them in with felt tips or something and it might be, erm interesting...

...but then I like that kind of thing.

GAF was I think something to do with AGFA and the fact it says GAF and not AGFA probably means it's older than me! Maybe it even is as old as moses, I'm too young to remember!

love

Freya

• Premium Member

GAF was I think something to do with AGFA and the fact it says GAF and not AGFA probably means it's older than me! Maybe it even is as old as moses, I'm too young to remember!

Actually the GAF name was the last they used.

Ansco was an old line firm which was associated with AGFA before WWII. The US governemnet took it over as enimy property during the war and it was administered by the US gov't for years. About the mid 1960s they started to use GAF rather than Ansco for their photo products. and by the lat 1970 era they got out of film entirely. When Kodak came out with the C-41 process - GAF kept making C-22 film, and they even amde a C-22 film in size 110, even though the C-41 process was released at about the same time as 110.

Last I encountered GAF they were making building materials. http://www.gaf.com/ "Founded in 1886, GAF has become North America’s largest manufacturer of commercial and residential roofing"