car mount help? and hosstess tray help?

brian hendry

i plan to shoot with a Norm's hostess tray side door mount, and i got the package but the guy who picked it up for me didnt get a manual or any instructions with it, so we arnt sure exactly how to build it properlly.

...we also picked up a Speedrail hood/roof car mount...and that also didnt come with instructions, so we have this massive piece of metal, and loads of rachet straps, but not sure entirely how to build the thing...anyone have any ideas? online tutorials? or online manuals? please post them here or email me , and i will owe you a massive favor for the rest of my life! ha

please need help!

brianmakemovie@gmail.com

brian

In 15 years of gripping, I don't think I've ever seen an instruction manual for a car mount. Maybe I have, but it would have consisted of incomprehensible pictures or diagrams. The best I can suggest is to assign someone to fiddle around w/ the stuff till you figure it out. Allow a lot of time, like 6 hours.

Other advice:

Hood Mount: I should have four feet that rest on the hood. You should have four points to secure it. In other words, you should have four ratchet straps working on the hood mount. The kit should include some short (6") "gutter straps" that help connect the straps to the car. When tightening the straps, it helps to have two people who can work opposite straps in unison, otherwise, you'll just be pulling the rig toward the strap you're ratcheting.

Side Mount: The suction cups rest on the outside of the door, the "fangs" slide into the window well. One strap can secure the hostess tray.

Last:

ARE YOU CRAZY?? Find someone who knows what he's doing! The damaged grip gear, camera gear, vehicle, and maybe personell will be a lot more expensive than the cost of a decent grip.

• Premium Member
Last:

ARE YOU CRAZY?? Find someone who knows what he's doing! The damaged grip gear, camera gear, vehicle, and maybe personell will be a lot more expensive than the cost of a decent grip.

Agreed. Hire someone who knows how to set it up. Like... the guy who rented you the gear!