Flickering fluorescent light

Greetings all.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to have a two tube fluorescent fixture such as one finds in 70's offices or smaller units in remote gas stations flicker like there is a ballast problem.

Kind of like a random Frankenstein effect if you know what I mean.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The best solution I've found for this is to put one on a variac - that is, a variable transformer, not a triac dimmer, which will quickly be damaged by such treatment. By varying the input voltage you should be able to find a point where it will flicker, and this is more realistic than just flicking a switch on and off. The starter will age very quickly under this kind of treatment, but they're not expensive.

Phil

Guest colleen

Dan,

We have this thing at school called a Magic Box. We were just using it today on the space ship because it gives these untimely flickers. I don't know if that is a solution or not.

Colleen

Here's what I did on a "no-budget" production, and it worked perfectly. Hung my flouro unit, ran power through a box I built with a momentary pushbutton switch, had a grip/PA push the button randomly during the take.

You can see the effect in the very last shot of this teaser.

Edited by PrestonHerrick

Here's what I did on a "no-budget" production, and it worked perfectly. Hung my flouro unit, ran power through a box I built with a momentary pushbutton switch, had a grip/PA push the button randomly during the take.

You can see the effect in the very last shot of this teaser.

nice work; what did you shoot that with?

By varying the input voltage you should be able to find a point where it will flicker, and this is more realistic than just flicking a switch on and off.

I second that. The flickering point will change when the tubes warm up, though. So it takes some fiddling to keep them flickering over time.