In-camera effects

Charles Brubaker

• Premium Member

I would look into exactly what the 416 can do. If memory serves, and I may be wrong, it has an electronically controlled shutter similar to a 435. As such you can program a bunch of cool stuff (speed ramps and the like) to correspond with iris pulls ect to get stuff like fade ins and outs, and dissolves and throwing the shutter out of sync with the pull down.

Else, yeah, bolex conversion.

I would look into exactly what the 416 can do. If memory serves, and I may be wrong, it has an electronically controlled shutter similar to a 435. As such you can program a bunch of cool stuff (speed ramps and the like) to correspond with iris pulls ect to get stuff like fade ins and outs, and dissolves and throwing the shutter out of sync with the pull down.

Else, yeah, bolex conversion.

I don't think 416 can do animation photography (I think), but I'll look into it more.

So, Bolex it is, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding single-frame exposures, as long as I know, 416 can´t do it, knows only 1 fps of continous speed, SR1/2/3 needs special electronic upgrade to know it, or it existed Norris intervalometer with motor specially designed for SR1/2, but I haven´t ever used it personally.

Only S16 cameras I know can handle single-frame exposures (and have capability of time-lapse shooting) are Aatons:

LTR has fixed 1/4s exposure

XTR+ has 1/4s - 1s

and XTRprod or Minima even several seconds exposure.

But they can´t close shutter while running like 435 (don´t know if 416 can handle it)