Help! Newbie advice

Rob Arnold

I am really sorry but I wasn't sure where else to turn to after searching high and low on the web.

My financee and I want to allow our wedding guests to take pictures on old vintage cameras and I thought it would be a good idea to allow them to use a super 8 camera too.

I have just purchased my first ever super 8 camera on eBay (EUMIG Viennette 8) and I need help with 2 questions.

1) Is if best to buy Ektachrome 100d or Ektachrome 64t to use with the camera?

2) Is there a typical setting for indoors that the average guest will be able to use to give ok results?

Thanks for any help given

First of, best to have more information in your thread title. HELP doesn't attract attention.

Second, you should be posting in the super8 section.

1) Not sure about that as I am unfamiliar with that camera

2) More than likely your guests will shoot 90% unusable footage. You cannot shoot film like a video camera. Best advice here is to make sure the light source is NOT behind the subjects being shot. Let your shooters know this and good luck.

where and when is the wedding? that will dictate which stock is best.I would recommend getting the 500T for any indoor shots. If it is an outdoor wedding, get the 100D or 200T. Pick up a bunch of cameras off ebay or at yard sales and have them checked out. sounds like a great idea. Best of luck.

this is what you are after

It's fully automatic, virtually indestructible, can be easily found for very little money, and can be operated by a monkey!

There’s a lab near me that uses them for workshops due to their incredibly simple design.

I would however forget using colour film, unless your reception is outside in bright sunlight the chances are the results will be very hit and miss.

Instead find a supply of Kodak Tri-x, The below video was shot with this film using the same camera in a variety of different lighting conditions; it should give you an idea of the type of results you can expect

[http://vimeo.com/20943315

• Premium Member

Honestly, I'd look at these guys. (http://usa.shop.lomo...ameras/lomokino) This way, you can use standard 35mm stills film which you might be able to get bulk discounts on, and it's highly simplified in that mostly anyone at your wedding could use it. You could even get cheap 35mm black and white photo film and process the rolls yourself, scan them yourself, etc. Save a ton of money, but it would take you quite awhile.

Plus, they're new enough that you could potentially again place a bulk order with lomography for a discount and then potentially resell them on ebay and not take that big of a hit when you're done. And, their "retro" style just screams "wedding chic"...

I agree about Tri-X. It's going to give you better results indoors.

Stay away from negative stocks. Your scanning costs will skyrocket. If you stick with reversal you can send them rolls to pretty much anyone and get transfers that will be just fine.

the thing with negative stock is it takes a higher end machine to do the transfer and a skilled colorist to operate it. So you get much better looking footage with negative stock because of the stock itself and the transfer house doing it. With reversal, it is harder to get a good exposure and then if you cheap out the transfer of your wedding video to just anyone, you probably will be disappointed. It might cost you more at a pro house for transfer, but the results will be much better. there are many companies shooting weddings on Super 8. They shoot both negative and reversal, they all have their transfers done at pro houses. I would call a lab like Cinelab or Spectra or Pro8mm and tell them what you want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Geoff (or anyone)...

I purchased the very one you linked to (agfa family super 8) I've put AA batteries in and Tri-x film but nothing happens. Would it attempt to work without the battery cell (manual says the small battery cell is for exposure) ? Or should I give up and assume broken?

I've just dug mine out and the motor still runs when I remove the small battery.

when you look through the viewfinder and hold down the start button can you see a flashing red led?

also what state are the battery contacts in? any sign of corrosion or leaks?

I've noticed that both the contacts on the right hand side of the battery compartment are pretty tiny; it could just be that they are not making contact properly