Jack Reacher?

I searched for a thread about this but couldn't find it so thought I'd start one.

What do people think? I liked it. Not a Tom Cruise fan and lots of it was ridiculous/stupid but overall it was a lot fo fun if you don;t take it too seriously. Not sure how much of a joke it was making of itself.

I _think_ there was even a gag about Tom Cruise being short in there.

I'm going to guess it was mostly shot on film, anamorphic - and that's about the limit of my knowledge.

I liked the main car chase scene and especially its end. There were some strange choices of shot in there, and I guess Cruise was VFX-ed into bits of it.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks

Shot anamorphic by Caleb Deschanel ASC one of Americas best . Not a film i plan to see.

Thought it looked like the worst rubbish ever from the trailer but since then I have discovered that the villain is played by Werner Herzog so now I'm really intrigued! :)

Kinda think it has to be worth seeing on that account.

Suspect it will be very over the top! :)

love

Freya

Guest Stephen Murphy

Kodak 5213 and 5219 http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Publications/InCamera/Jack_Reacher_Takes_to_the_Streets.htm

I LOVED the movie. It definitely feels more like American 70's cinema. It's not a particularly original story but its brilliantly told and it looks wonderful. The directors other movie, Way of the Gun, is one of the most underrated films to come out of the US in a long time and is also worth tracking down (beautifully shot by Dick Pope).

Forget the trailers and the silly title - they don't do the movie justice - go see this on the biggest screen you can find it on - it deserves it.

• Upvote 1

I USE to hate Cruise (left over residual annoyance from Risky Business, which I STILL hate) but now, I think he's incredible. At this point, I've seen almost all his films. (I watch a LOT of movies) He did a similar kind of film a few years ago (at least from the look of the trailer) called "Collateral" (2004) playing a kind of all American hitman. For some reason, I really liked his performance in that one. It was a hitman I had never seen before. He did a GREAT job with it. I'm a huge action/adventure fan so I'll see this one.

Thought it looked like the worst rubbish ever from the trailer but since then I have discovered that the villain is played by Werner Herzog so now I'm really intrigued! :)

Kinda think it has to be worth seeing on that account.

Suspect it will be very over the top! :)

love

Freya

I saw Herzog's documentary "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" (2010) yesterday. LOVE that guy!

I USE to hate Cruise (left over residual annoyance from Risky Business, which I STILL hate) but now, I think he's incredible. At this point, I've seen almost all his films. (I watch a LOT of movies) He did a similar kind of film a few years ago (at least from the look of the trailer) called "Collateral" (2004) playing a kind of all American hitman. For some reason, I really liked his performance in that one. It was a hitman I had never seen before. He did a GREAT job with it. I'm a huge action/adventure fan so I'll see this one.

Also not a fan but was impressed by his performance in Collateral too! He makes a great villian!

In this film it's Herzog that is the villian supposedly (seems wrong way round to me- I know which side I'll be rooting for! ;) )

Freya

I saw Herzog's documentary "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" (2010) yesterday. LOVE that guy!

I love Herzog so much I have a whole boxset of his films including "Even dwarfs started small" and that one where he drags a boat over a mountain!

A friend of mine was also obssessed with the bear documentary for a loooong time:

"Timothy Treadwell believed the bears were iz friends but he didn't understand zey were ze cruel force of nature!"

Herzog is a legend! :)

love

Freya

• Upvote 1

In Jack Reacher, he's not a hit man, more of a James Bond/sleuth type of character. He plays a retired Military Police investigator who likes to live off the grid.

In Jack Reacher, he's not a hit man, more of a James Bond/sleuth type of character. He plays a retired Military Police investigator who likes to live off the grid.

No, I was aware of that. What I mean is...I guess you could call it his attitude, the "f%ck with me and I'll rip your heart out" vibrato that he exudes in the trailer. He had that in "Collateral".

I love Herzog so much I have a whole boxset of his films including "Even dwarfs started small" and that one where he drags a boat over a mountain!

A friend of mine was also obssessed with the bear documentary for a loooong time:

"Timothy Treadwell believed the bears were iz friends but he didn't understand zey were ze cruel force of nature!"

love

Freya

that one where he drags a boat over a mountain!

love

Freya

"Fitzcarraldo" (1982) I LOVED that movie. I'm gonna watch that Dwarf thing. I've never seen it before. I also loved what he did with Kinski, Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972). Brilliant work. I also loved him in Harmony Korine's Julien Donkey-Boy (1999). As for Herzog being a genius, I agree 100%1

Did you ever see the mockumentary "Incident at Loch Ness' (2004)? Absolutely hilarious and a really funny comment on some producers!

That's a good one.

'Little Dieter Needs To Fly' is quite good.

Little kid in a German village during WWII, the Big One, sees some allied fighters fly past his window and realizes he has to be a pilot. Eventually he emigrates to the US and becomes a navy pilot during the Vietnam war & is shot down and held prisoner in a small Viet Cong jungle camp. He and other prisoners escape through the jungle.

Later Herzog made a fiction version with Christian Bale. Haven't seen that.

'Cobra Verde' is an uneven one. Klaus Kinski is an outlaw in 19th cen Brazil, gets a job as a foreman on a plantation and knocks up all of the owner's daughters. The owner gets rid of Klaus by sending him to Africa to buy slaves.

Beginning is somewhat funny. Last half is more arty.

• Premium Member

I thought Jack Reacher was great. Real single camera filmmaking from the 70's. Had that old school vibe, with great blocking and scene build. No handheld in sight, nice cuts in camera, tying stuff together with a pan/rack/track rather than cutting to it, etc. Caleb is very good. The lighting wasn't always choices I would have made, and he's a bit heavy on the backlight for my personal taste, but it's solid work. The car chase is brilliantly lit and shot.