Red SSD suddenly appears blank after attempting to read

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Now, I'm going to be very careful here, because I don't want to be accused of being a "red hater", so, not to be the bad guy, here are the facts.

- I just shot a load of stuff onto a 256GB SSD

- I put it into the reader, which is connected to my PC via eSATA.

- I tried to copy the contents onto my RAID

- About a quarter of the way through the 25GB copy, the reader shut down, the red light out.

- The computer now can't mount the card via the reader

- The camera sees the card as empty

My interpretation of this is that a fault in the reader has wrecked the data - or at least the filesystem - on the card. Is there likely to be any recovering this?

P

• Premium Member

Not @ all a red-expert Phil; but I hear there is a program called RedUndead which may be worth looking into? I'm not sure if it works with SSDs, however but seems like a good start .

https://www.red.com/downloads?release=beta

does appear to be mac only, however. . .

I don't have a better solution to this than Adrian but was wondering if you were trying to bus power the reader?

I know the much older red drives would fry themselves if connected without a mains supply connected so maybe this is a similar or less serious thing? Anyway, yeah it sounds like the drive reader fried itself one way or another, so I'm guessing there was a power issue?

I think the red still uses fat32 or similar so maybe something like norton disc doctor could help, or you could talk to the guys at red.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black