Zeiss Superspeeds V Zeiss CP2's

Are Arri Zeiss super 16mm lens set IE 9.5/12/16/25mm better with a super 16mm sensor than a set of Zeiss CP2's ?

After reading the thread below I believe they must be as the CP2's were designed for a full frame size.

http://www.cinematography.net/edited...16mmvs35mm.htm

But a lot can change since 2003 when this thread was written and CP2's didn't exist.

Also another review tells how the CP2's can flare quite a bit and you have to stop down at an often limited ability for bokeh to avoid softness.

Has anyone done any real world tests or knowledge they could share about this?

Hi Mark,

CP2´s are FF lenses (only the 18mm isn´t). Using them on a S16 sized sensor you will have difficulties to obtain a wide field of view.

Another disadvantage of the CP.2 is that their T-stop is not the same for the whole set (T 2.1 - T 3.9 I think) meanwhile the Zeiss SS are all 1.3 (although I wouldn´t recommend to shoot wide open with them).

Mark,

Your question is a bit vague. What specific S16 lenses are you comparing them against?. In a general sense, there only real difference between using S16 or FF lenses on the S16 format is that the FF lenses are using only the buttery goodness of the center of the lens (the rest being cropped out). The field of view on both lenses when viewed on the same format will be approximately the same. The CP.2's don't actually flare that much when compared to older lenses (which is why some people prefer the old high speed primes). They are just the Zeiss' still glass in cinema housing, so they react the same way.

I hope this helps.

Having used the old Zeiss Contex lenses combined with the Super Speeds for shooting Super 16, the latter have the focal lengths that you mostly want to use. The still lenses then to be used when you want to extend into the longer focal lengths. The Zeiss Contex lenses weren't quite as sharp wide open as the Super Speeds and I noticed that the 35mm f1.4 had a bit of barrel distortion compared to the 25mm Super Speed.

I gather the CP2s have the same optics as the CP1s, just they don't open to as wide an aperture.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Alan

Thank you.

Brian

Your combination is how I'm using my zeiss superspeeds at the moment except with a pentax 50mm 1.4

With a super 16mm sensor it translates to a set of -

18mm

24mm

32mm

50mm

100mm

I like the look the look of the CP2's though and it would be nice to have its ergonomics see some comparisons but I have a feeling what I have is far superior for super 16mm frame size.

Having used the old Zeiss Contex lenses combined with the Super Speeds for shooting Super 16.......

Brian,

Were the Zeiss Contax lenses remounted somehow? Otherwise what was your solution, what adapter, what camera?

I have spotted that Kimcamera in Sth Korea can rehouse Zeiss Contax for $1200 incl PL mount, gears and (I think) 80mm front. But suddenly it's not cheap any more.

Cheers.