3x 18k HMI or 1x FULL 125k Wendylight

Hi

So im shooting a commercial next week, we have a scene where people are gathering outside a church, its in England so the weather will likely be overcast. For the mids and group shots we want to have backlight, unfortunately the location parameters deny us the use of a crane for these lights, so we have to build a 30ft tower to light from as there is a tree in the way.

My question, Should i use a full wendy if the budget will allow or 3x 18k's which they've already signed off on. the base of the tower will be about 30ft from the actors and like i said above will be about 30ft high plus stand so around 40ft high.

I should probably mention i'd gel the wendy to 1/2 ctb and the hmi's with 1/4-1/2 cto depending on burn colour.

Im after the most throw (width) and the most punch, ideally the light that will most look like a convincing sun breaking through the clouds.

My gaffer and I have never used the wendy only the HMI so Any Help would be great.

Best

Justin

www.justin-brown.co.uk

I agree with Stuart , i think a Full Wendy at that distance is to much really better much further away . Yes Guillaume its like a Dino but much bigger 196 Fays, invented by David Watkin 'Wendy' was the name electricians at Lee Lighting called him.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

You could do a quarter wendy but I agree with the other boys, a FULL Wendy would be way too close at 30 feet away. I had a chance to work with David on two films and when he used a Wendy, it was on a crane a full long city block away. At least a few hundred feet. There was one scene in a stage I recall, where we used a full wendy as he was looking for a huge depth of field. Maybe 30 or 40 feet away. I can't remember what the f-stop was, but it was up there.

Best

Tim

Edited by timHealy