PL mount conversions

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

I need to find a PL converted Canon DSLR for a review. The most commonly available ones seem to be 7Ds, but I'd rather not use one of those as they won't do the whole raw-recording thing.

Does anyone routinely convert any of the raw-capable cameras?

Thanks,

Phil

• Premium Member

You'd be rather limited, I think the Canon 5D is the only one with the raw Magic Lantern hack... and since most PL-mount lenses won't cover full-frame 35mm, I don't know many people who would bother putting a PL-mount on one unless it was for a set of PL-mount Zeiss CP.2 lenses. You're probably going to have to use a 7D conversion, but what are you testing? The lenses or the camera?

• Premium Member

The idea was to put one of those immensely expensive Fuji ENG-style PL zooms on one, and see how it worked out. I'd have liked to have the improved gauge of how well it worked that you'd get from a raw image, but I'm not sure it's possible to do it. Oh well. Not a dealbreaker.

There are smaller-sensor Canons that will do raw (the 50D will, but that's an obscure old thing now), and I find that the 60D will too, but I'm not aware if there are any decent PL conversions of those particular cameras. There are also easily demountable PL adaptors that have glass in them to correct the FFD offset, but it wouldn't really be fair to try and test someone's lens out with that confounding factor involved.

P

• 2 months later...

There seems to be some polish made PL adaptors you can screw on your Canon mount (like this one), but I'm not sure wether it really replaces the EOS mount or just go on top of it (as the seller's photo would suggest). In the last case maybe one would have to grind the EOS mount so it does not block PL lenses. Has anyone tried those adaptors ? I too have some old Arriflex lenses I would like to try on my 50D (that I would "gut out" for the occasion), i'm thinking right now of the best option.

Edited by Tom Chabbat

Plus, you'll probably need to lock up the mirror to make it work.

I know, the idea is to remove it completely with everything which can block lenses. But even in this case I'm not a hundred percent sure my lenses will fit, as I also need an Arrilflex Standard to PL adapter (the one for rotating mounts, like this) which seems to be pretty large and well protruding inside the mount... I don't know if someone ever tried to use old Arriflex lenses on PL modified Canons...

That's a big reason I want one of those Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras. So I can use my Arri bayo/std mount lenses, and not worry about it.

But my lenses are for 35mm. I can't help but think they wont be used to their full potential in Super 16. The BMPCC is wonderful for 16mm lenses, but in my case an APS-C sized sensor is preferable.

I watched that video. At the end he shows us how to pry off the retainer ring by putting his finger on the rear element. (smiley face icon)

Haha, saw that too !

• Premium Member

If you're going from APS-C to S16mm it's just 2x as long of a lens, just about. That said; I've often used 35mm cine lenses on S16mm cine cameras, and would happily throw up some Cookes on my own black magic.

There is also the up-coming 4K camera from them, though I am unsure which mounts, aside from EOS, they're making.