super 16mm film stock for lowlight performance?

Hey! First post on here!

Im shooting a short in a couple of weeks and this is the first time i am using film as i am of the digital generation.

However, this project requires me to shoot on a AATON LTR super16mm film camera.

The project is a noir-style comedy flick and i want to film out in the city at night, only using already existing light(from stores, signs, stoplights, etc) looking for a smooth, cinematic look with as little grain and texture possible.

Any advice/tips/experience is received with great gratitude!

Thanks for answers in advance.

Mucho love from a slightly confused film student!

Edited by Ravel Mohikaner

• Premium Member

Your only choice really is Kodak 500T now, so get some fast primes.

I mean, if you want really low grain but high sensitivity, you should be shooting either in digital or a bigger film format -- if you want to shoot in available light at night, you're going to have to embrace the grain of 500T, which isn't too bad in Super-16, but I wouldn't call it fine or low in graininess. To avoid underexposure and/or pushing the stock, you're going to want to carry very fast prime lenses.

If you could, I'd try shooting after a rainfall (Or wet the area if you had the ability). But that might not be one of your options.

I'd also say to try and overexpose the 500T a bit.... but chances are you'll be shooting wide open anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Like everyone else has said, fast primes. I have shot plenty with that very camera with 500t inside. Light it the way you want and voila. 7219 really very easy to get proper exposure. No need to worry at all, if you light to a higher f stop the shadows drop off into black very nicely. Deep dark black, rather clean. With fast primes, you could also get away with the 200t. With proper lighting, not more, it will give you a noir look right out of the box.

Sorry I skimmed through the thread and just noticed you saying that you are going to shoot existing light only. 500t for sure. If you could, have a Locaster or copy on a boom pole ready with lots of batteries. It can give you just the amount of fill you might need. Easily stands by.