Zeiss 11-110 S16 Bayo vs PL Mount on BMCP

Hello all.

I'm considering buying an Arri Zeiss 11-110 Zoom Lens to use with with my Pocket Camera.

The thing is that it's ARRI BAYO mount. It comes with a Bayo-PL adapter.

I'd have to use a PL-M43 adapter to be able to use it. IF that is possible without causing problems?

I mean, teorically would be possible, but would that really work?

If not, would it be possible to convert this mount to a PL Mount?

Thanks all.

Assuming you're using high quality adapters there shouldn't be any problem.

You can change the zoom's mount from the bayonet mount to a PL mount, but you should use a lens technician for the conversion. However, I'd test the bayonet to PL adapter before going along this path, the bayonet mount became almost a universal mount (using adapters) for a few years at rental houses until the PL mount took over on most professional film cameras.

Hey Brian.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

In regards to value, is there any difference of price between the mounts? I mean, nowadays a 11-110 Zeiss like this with a Bayo mount would worth less than a PL mount?

I'm divided between buying the Zeiss 11-110 S16, or continue to invest on Still Zeiss primes (I have a 85mm and will buy a 21mm soon on eBay). Or actually go for BOTH (megalomaniac).

I'm so so divided as this is such an expensive lens. And I'd be using it for a documentary soon, so would work great for sure. Tempting.

Do you know any good affordable alternatives to use with the black magic pocket cam?

I'm looking for pro glass, but in my view all ends up to Zeiss. :P

Anyway, almost digressing here.

Any tips of lenses for the black magic pocket are very very welcome

Thanks,

Flavio

If you do a lot of lens changes during a shoot then it's best to have a common mount. If you want to rent, then that mount should probably be PL. If the camera port is PL mount and the lenses are PL mount then good. You have minimised a source of optical error. But this can cost. The PL remounts for the lenses, like the 8 hole Zeiss mounts, can cost. Decent ones like the Visual Products ones are $395. OK as a one off for a zoom, but for a set of S16 Arri B mount super speeds that one might want to own it is another cost increment.

If the Arri B mount on the zoom has eight holes then it is easy to switch the mount. The part that needs expertise is the collimation, which normally requires shimming for the mount.

I don't know what PL adapter is on the Zeiss zoom. Some of these are good. Like one version that has a sort of twist ring at the back that locks the adapter on. There are several cheaper adapters around that are not really suitable for the mechanical loads created by a zoom. Anything that fastens onto the side of the Arri B mount with a simple grub screw is not great. You need a lock that applies a force to the bayonet tab. Even then, for the zoom, it would be better to remount to PL if you needed PL.

I thought there were inexpensive camera port adapters for the Pocket cam. If the Arri-B one was accurate back focus (FFD) and is mechanically Ok then this could be a cheap way.

• Premium Member

The thing is that it's ARRI BAYO mount. It comes with a Bayo-PL adapter.

Are you sure? The Zeiss 11-110 was Zeiss's PL conversion of the 10-100...done in the factory. It's a great lens although many people find it breathes to much. I used one on an SR3 a couple of years ago and didn't want to give it back.

I had my Mk II 10-100 Bayonet converted to 12-120 by Serious Gear last year and I love it. It's not just an adapter; you have to modify the optics position so it can cover the Super 16 frame. The conversion is upwards of $1500, but worth it when done right.

Hello all.

Thanks loads to everybody for your answers!

Will, this is what the ad says. Arri Zeiss 11-110 Bayo Mount + PL Adapter.

Sorry. Not sure what you mean by "You sure"? You think that the lens in actually a conversion? I've read somewhere that exists bothPL and BAYO mounts of this lens.

Thanks.

Edited by flavio filho

• Premium Member

Never heard of a bayonet version of the 11-110 so I thought maybe it was actually a native PL mount. It was designed specifically for the SR3's PL mount...

http://www.hdgear.tv/images/catalog/product/docs/vs_110_e.pdf

Either way it's a great lens. Maybe you can get a lens tech to check it out before you spend the money.

Hi Will.

In the PDF you sent me, says "is also available in the 41mm Bayonet mount".

:)

So the lens is real.

My concern as it's a PL is to actually use in a BMCP camera properly. But in this page our fellas already say it would be fine.
It's just that is expensive. So it makes me wonder a lot before buying it.

Thanks.

F

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi Will.

In the PDF you sent me, says "is also available in the 41mm Bayonet mount".

You have the only I've ever heard of after seeing about 30 PL versions. :)

Seems like you just need to slap on a PL adapter on the lens and invest on a PL to M4/3 adapter for the camera and you'll have an amazing lens. You shouldn't need to do a full conversion of the mount since there are plenty of quality adapters out there that will take care of it for you. I would suggest doing a rail support for it since the lens is 10x heaver than the camera.

Maybe you can go ahead and order the PL adapter for the camera and rent or borrow another 11-110 to check it out and see if it will be worth the investment for you. No matter what you'll still be able to rent S16 PL glass whenever you want and they are pretty cheap to rent these days.