First Time 35mm Camera Purchase

Christopher Lew

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd post this here and see if others with more experience could give me their input on this.

I've found an Arri 435 ES (4-perf) camera package for sale that I'm extremely interested in purchasing. Film is something I've sorely wanted to learn for years now and I think this could be a great opportunity. The package is going for $6000 and includes the following:

1 Low Bridge
1 8" balance plate rods
6 400' magazines
1 Ground glass 535 AlB 1V square

1 Mask Arri glow 535/435 1V

1 2:35 ground glass

1 2:35 Arri glow mask

1 1:85/1:37 ground glass

1 1:85/1:37 Arri glow mask

1 1:85 1V ground glass

1 1:86 Arri glow ground glass

1 Heated eyecup: 435 2 step

1 Finder support 535/435/16SR-3

1 Operating handgrip

1 Arriglow module: 435

1 Worklight

1 Remote control, Universal: RCU

1 Shoulder set S-4 435

1 Cushion F/435 w/steadicam

1 Follow focus mech only w/right focus knob, right focus knob ext, prime &zoom gears, short ff ext

1 13.5 fiex shaft w/knob

1 38" fiex shaft w/knob

1 Bridgeplate w/15mm rods

1 6.6 MB-14 matte box set

1 CCD optic module

1 lntergrated video module 4

1 24v plug on module

1 65' extension cable for RCU

1 Finder extender

1 Focus crank

1 Mask set, 18-180mm lenses

1 Flex shaft: grad filters

1 Reflex prevention ring for 10mm Zeiss w/158mm diameter

1 138mm filter ring w/rubber sleeve for Angenieux 25-250 HP w/125mm diameter

​1 Studio follow focus FF-3 w/15mm bridge plate 35mm format

2 435 power cables

1 Heater eyepiece cable

1 25' RCU-1 cable-spare

1 Case-camera

1 case-follow focus

1 case-6.6 MB

3 Case-magazines

It comes with everything I would absolutely need minus a lens and some filters. To me it seems like a steal, but I'd like to get 3rd party input. It is worth it going for a 4perf camera?

Thanks,

Chris

Christopher,

If you are going to make the investment in a 435, I would look for a 435 Advanced or Xtreme.

The Advanced and Xtreme have the newer designed high performance shutter drive that cuts adjustment time in half, allowing for much quicker speed ramps and exposure changes. This is a big improvement from the ES. Also it has a new minimum frame rate of 0.01 fps. The Advanced and Xtreme also incorporate the Lens Data System in the lens mount.

All depends how you are going to use it.

http://www.arricsc.com/pdf/435_xtreme_brochure.pdf

Charlie

Christopher,

If you are going to make the investment in a 435, I would look for a 435 Advanced or Xtreme.

The Advanced and Xtreme have the newer designed high performance shutter drive that cuts adjustment time in half, allowing for much quicker speed ramps and exposure changes. This is a big improvement from the ES. Also it has a new minimum frame rate of 0.01 fps. The Advanced and Xtreme also incorporate the Lens Data System in the lens mount.

All depends how you are going to use it.

http://www.arricsc.com/pdf/435_xtreme_brochure.pdf

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

An Advanced or Xtreme would be a dream to own, but I'm sure are much pricier cams. I'm only considering this ES because of it's reasonable price tag.

I did notice in the pdf you attached that all models of the 435 have 2 and 3 perf movements. Do you know anything about adjusting 4 perf camera to 3? Is it a difficult/expensive procedure?

Thank you!

Christopher,

You can't easily change a 4 perf 435 camera to 3 perf. With the introduction of the 435 Advanced, you had the option of ordering the body from the factory in either 3 or 4 perf versions. One body wasn't able to both. So, If you had a 4 perf camera, you would have to purchase a 3 perf body if you wanted to shoot either 4 or 3 perf. I think Arri would take your 4 perf body and rebuild it to 3 perf, for a hefty fee. But, you couldn't switch back to 4 perf without going through the factory rebuild again=$$$$$.

I don't see many 435 3 perf bodies for sale.... yet. Here's a good article on 3 perf:

http://www.schumachercamera.com/tech_tip4.htm#aspect

That's a terrific kit you are planning on getting!

Charlie