Why We Make Movies.

Normally I would not share this story, but maybe it will inspire others who are in film school etc.

On Saturday we had the Toronto premiere of Against The Wild. After it was over I was out on the street talking to some people. I was tugged on my arm and a man and a woman were standing beside me. The woman said, "our son needs to tell you something." I look down and there's this cute little boy maybe 4 or 5 years old.

So I had to kneel down to his level so I could hear what he wanted to say. He says to me, in his little voice, "I just want to tell you that your movie is better than my most favourite movie of all time now." I said, "wow what is your favourite movie?" He said, "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, but now I like yours better."

I gave him one of my industry screeners, and he was so excited to be able to take the movie home before it comes out in stores. He had paid me a 100% sincere compliment, with no "adult" motives.

If movies didn't cost so much, and needed to generate revenue, I would say that boy paid me in full for making the movie.

Ok it's a corny story so sue me. But in the fake and cynical film world, this boy was a breath of fresh air.

R,

• Premium Member

Normally I would not share this story, but maybe it will inspire others who are in film school etc.

On Saturday we had the Toronto premiere of Against The Wild. After it was over I was out on the street talking to some people. I was tugged on my arm and a man and a woman were standing beside me. The woman said, "our son needs to tell you something." I look down and there's this cute little boy maybe 4 or 5 years old.

So I had to kneel down to his level so I could hear what he wanted to say. He says to me, in his little voice, "I just want to tell you that your movie is better than my most favourite movie of all time now." I said, "wow what is your favourite movie?" He said, "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, but now I like yours better."

I gave him one of my industry screeners, and he was so excited to be able to take the movie home before it comes out in stores. He had paid me a 100% sincere compliment, with no "adult" motives.

If movies didn't cost so much, and needed to generate revenue, I would say that boy paid me in full for making the movie.

Ok it's a corny story so sue me. But in the fake and cynical film world, this boy was a breath of fresh air.

R,

It's far from corny, Richard. Thanks for sharing.

R,

I see now why you're so good at family fare. :D Actually, Richie, that's a great story. congratulations on making a kid's day. Heart warming and very cool!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Lots of children in Romania.

Lots of children everywhere, seems to me if your in the film business and you make a film for a child audience and get a remark like that from a 5 year old you go home with a big smile on your face!

Or do I need to be more cynical?

Lots of children everywhere, seems to me if your in the film business and you make a film for a child audience and get a remark like that from a 5 year old you go home with a big smile on your face!

Or do I need to be more cynical?

Yes you do in this instance, but not for that reason.

This is a cheap remark referring to another thread which apparently must now infect this one.

Hi Mark,

now that the cat is half way out of the bag can you post the other thread to which you are referring?

I'm not one for sentimentality myself but I get it - have watched far too many mainstream American movies to not get it. So I'd accept Richard's little moment for what it is: something that requires cynicism to be put aside. One's battles can always be recommenced on another day.

C

It's in the "Business and Legal Affairs" section Carl, under, "Freelance Living Wage." The now 22 pager where we have tried to resolve all of societies ills.

But this thread wasn't meant to be anything about those issues. This is about nothing more than a filmmakers end product connecting with a young person. That's all.

R,