Do Lithium AAs make more better film drive batteries?

Peter Woodford

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows if Lithium AAs perform better than Alkalines in a typical super 8 camera? (I have a Canon AutoZoom 814 and a Nizo s80). I was thinking that their more stable voltage output might lead to more consistent filming speed throughout the life of the batteries. Better cold weather battery life would be nice too (I'm in Canada). It'd be great to know if anyone has done any testing.

Friction and/or precision of the speed governors. Depending on the way the motor is electronically controlled you'll have more or less consistent speed. Some electronics components like certain types of capacitors are prone to age. Are you experiencing speed problems ?

Hi Tom,

My Canon has slowed downed a little a fair bit a few times. It *seems* to only happen when the batteries are low, but I haven't used it enough yet to say that with certainty. The camera also seems to go through batteries more quickly (3 or 4 carts) than the manual would suggest it should (10 carts).

The camera also seems to go through batteries more quickly (3 or 4 carts) than the manual would suggest it should (10 carts).

Hello,

IMHO high battery consumption would mean that your camera is in need of a general service/lube, unless it was serviced recently vintage cameras usually have high friction due to old dried out grease/lubricants, dirt and dust, etc. That makes it draw more power to run, the cold makes it worse.