Smallest Candidate for Super35 3-perf Conversion?

Rob McCray

I'm looking to upgrade to 35mm from my Ultra16 converted K-3. What I do like about the K-3, as with most 16mm cameras, is the ability to "run 'n' gun". Looking at the choices in 35 it seems like the Konvas 2m would fit the bill, but I recently found out it cannot be converted to 3-perf. The Arri IIc can be converted, and it looks small enough, but can any of you recommend a smaller camera, if one even exists, that meets my requirements?

I should add that I'm looking for something in that IIc price range.

Thank you

• Premium Member

Looked into a 2-perf Eyemo conversion and discussed 3 perf as well. 2 perf possible but tricky and expensive. 3 perf is harder. Some cameras just can't be made 3 perf because it's an odd pert vs. halfing the advance.

Actually any conversion is crazy expensive. You might be able to find an Arri 2C in Technoscope 2-perf already built if you're lucky but it would probably be in the $6000 range.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, looks like it might be too cost prohibitave regardless of what 35mm camera.

I've had some U16 scanned that darn near looked like 35mm, but the sharpening caused some severe ghosting. I've yet too try a scanner like the Xena. Maybe that will get a little better quality out of the U16 and I can keep my "run 'n' gun" set-up.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

• Premium Member

The most cost effective way to shoot anything other than 4-perf (besides renting!) is probably the Arri 2C Techniscope cameras which are hard to find but factory made. Probably selling for $200-$6000 depending on the day.

I do agree that an Eyemo 2-perf would be about the best home movie camera ever made.