Bolex problem PLEASE HELP

Tin Ojeda

Hey guys

so i got a lot of color negative film back and its fog on each side .. the hole side i dont care but the other side its a problem since i believe its touching the image a little bit ..

I have a Bolex SBM and i believe the problem is that the filter slot wasn't all the way in .. could that be the problem ?

I have to shoot next week and dont have time to do tests ... can u guys help me

Here's a photo with the problem

post-60449-0-21390200-1386857462_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim,

I'm fairly certain it isn't the filter slot that's caused the fogging.

Was the film cut down from a 400ft roll down to a 100ft spool at some point ? ( ..... or did you use a 400ft roll in a mag ) as it could be a darkroom handling problem.

Did you buy the film un-opened, as it looks like the roll's been handled in some sort of light.

Check to see if the whole roll has THE SAME CONSISTENT edge fogging - right up to the ends...... if yes, it's been handled in light.

John S

It's not fogging through the gate. That wouldn't affect the rebates. It's edge fogging, so a pre- or post-camera problem.

Try inverting that photo in Photoshop or whatever. You'll probably be able to see how far it encroaches into the frame.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I have a Bolex SBM, and when I looked at your picture of the filter, it appeared a little strange to me. I therefore checked my camera and compared it with yours.

If you look closely at your photograph of the filter, there appears to be a gap above the filter. One can see through this gap. On my camera, the gap is closed by a plate and one cannot see what is behind the plate. It occurs to me that if one can see through that gap then it is possible that light is able to get through it too. Behind the gap lies the prism and if light is able to get to the prism it seems to me possible that it is able to get into the top of the prism and thence to the rear face of the prism. Behind the prism is the shutter. Now, if light is contuously getting to the shutter, it is possibe that it is somehow getting to the edges of your film. The pressure pad pressing the film against the gate might be preventing the light affecting most of the picture area, but on the edges of the film, the pressure pad might not be quite achieving that.

I also took a look at pictures of the mount area of an SBM camera which appears in Andrew Alden's book "Bolex Bible" (well worth getting if you do not already have a copy), and the gap to which I refer above appears to be blocked as it is on my camera.

I hope this helpful, and apologies in advance if I am wrong.