How I Found the Money for

I meet Cassian Elwes at AFM a couple of times when he was on the panel of the Pitch Conferences. He was and is a very cool dude so naturally when I saw this article in The Wrap, I had to read it. After doing so, I found it quite honestly, heartwarming and inspiring. It shows in vivid detail the importance of being a stand up guy and treating people right when it comes to this business. I invite you to take a gander and see how it's suppose to be done:

http://www.thewrap.com/dallas-buyers-club-matthew-mcconaughey-cassian-elwes-oscars

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Funniest part of the entire article:

"You can't believe what just happened. All that Canadian money for the ‘Dallas Buyers Club’ fell through."

R,

• Premium Member

It shows in vivid detail the importance of being a stand up guy and treating people right when it comes to this business.

I have always made a point of ensuring crews get paid more than the minimum wage, are properly fed, work reasonable hours, and are insured. Unfortunately my experience is that all this actually does is act as a competitive disadvantage.

P

• Upvote 1

I have always made a point of ensuring crews get paid more than the minimum wage, are properly fed, work reasonable hours, and are insured. Unfortunately my experience is that all this actually does is act as a competitive disadvantage.

P

BS Phil you're an evil producer that does nothing but exploit people. Gee I guess you don't like having some of the poop you've thrown at me being thrown back in your face do you?

Oh look at me everyone I'm Phil Rhodes, I walk on water and pay the crew large sums of money and serve steak and lobster on set. Unlike that evil SOB Richard Boddington who expects people to work for free and bring their own lunch to set.

Oh and presumably you share all "profits" with the crew equally, of course you do.

R,

PS: Sorry for the hi-jack James :)

Eh, these threads take on a life of their own, it's interesting to see how they develop. Some fascinating stuff comes out of discourse and after all we're in the business of conflict as all drama is conflict and all comedy is conflict pushed to the extreme. I thought you'd get a kick outta the Canadian money thing. My friend, John Talbot, an executive producer outta Quebec is always complaining about the problems finding money from reliable sources, but then again, I guess that goes with the industry, so what is one to do, shoot cheap, make the most of what you got and just keep on sluggin' away!

• 2 weeks later...