12v adaptor

Anyone know where i can find a adaptor that does 240v wall plug (3 pin australian) or iec lead to 4 pin xlr?

I have a 12v kino kit and some other stuff that runs off 4 pin xlr. I have a toshiba power adaptor that came with a cheap chinese led panel but im looking for about 4 more adaptors.

I cant find anything under us$150 or so on google. Surely theres something around us$30-$40.

Anyone know an adaptor thats used for camera or something else that i can buy cheaply online?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

When I've needed that sort of thing I've just bought (hopefully reasonably good) 12V wall-warts and changed the connector, but you would need at least basic soldering skills. You might consider it worthwhile figuring this out, if you haven't done it before.

I like to ensure all cheap, chinese imported electronics is at least double specified - that is, if I want a 4A power supply, I tend to buy 8. Don't buy the very cheapest junk, obviously.

P

• Premium Member

I dont know what a wall wart is.

I tried jaycar. I bought some xlr but couldnt find any power adaptors. Ill try again.

A wall wart - visualise it!

Jaycar website has these:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3490&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1000#12

If 2.5A isn't enough for your applications they also have 5A desktop versions

• Premium Member

Anyone know where i can find a adaptor that does 240v wall plug (3 pin australian) or iec lead to 4 pin xlr?

I have a 12v kino kit and some other stuff that runs off 4 pin xlr. I have a toshiba power adaptor that came with a cheap chinese led panel but im looking for about 4 more adaptors.

I cant find anything under us$150 or so on google. Surely theres something around us$30-$40.

Anyone know an adaptor thats used for camera or something else that i can buy cheaply online?

Thanks!

Wagner Electronics in Ashfield NSW http://www.wagneronline.com.au/

have a huge range of AC adaptors, generally at eBay type prices.

Plus just about any electronic accessory or part you could imagine

They also have a shop in Ashfield, or if you are eligible to open a trade account, you can trade through their trade portal WES Components (which also operates from the same address), for even lower prices.

They also sell XLR connectors (including 4 pin) at really good prices.

They still have parts for TV sets dating back to the 1970s, VCR parts (yes people still pay to get those fixed!) plus everything you could possibly need for installing TV antennas.

Keith wins a cheap Chinese wall wart ?

1801210_554429381330729_1931182226_o.jpg

jus jokes!

Anyhoo, so last time I fumble around the sockets trying to find my phone cable in the dark...

As pictured is how it was found - with phase about 10mm away from my right index finger :)

Really daft design, hard to describe but just an extra minute or two thought on the designers behalf would have made what had happened, not happen :rolleyes:

Edited by Chris Millar

That was a fluke tho.

Anyway I'm sure Phil didn't really mean a wall wart anyway as they would be unlikely to be available in useful amps.

Wallwarts are usually 300 milliamps or similar. I was surprised when Dom found a 2.5amp wall wart!

2.5 x 12 = 30watts might be just enough for a lot of the led lights out there but it might be pushing it?

For this kind of application you probably want at least a 4 amp regulated supply I imagine?

So more the IEC inlet style block PSU's?

Freya

• Premium Member

1801210_554429381330729_1931182226_o.jpg

jus jokes!

Anyhoo, so last time I fumble around the sockets trying to find my phone cable in the dark...

As pictured is how it was found - with phase about 10mm away from my right index finger :)

Really daft design, hard to describe but just an extra minute or two thought on the designers behalf would have made what had happened, not happen :rolleyes:

I get more than enough of those at work. You'd sh!t bricks if you saw some of the garbage that importers try to slide past...

Where the hell did you get that from?

It doesn't appear to have any approval markings, and I seriously doubt it would pass anyway.

Unapproved switchmode adaptors can be horrendously dangerous, as dodgy manufacturers often replace the special Y-rated Blue interference suppression capacitors with cheap brown disk ceramic types, which have a nasty habit of going short-circuit during thunderstorms. The output connector then becomes live, but the adaptor will often still appear to work normally.

An approved adaptor will easily withstand over 3,000 Volts AC between the hot and cold parts. The AS/NZS 60950 standard (and its European equivalents) specifies it must survive this for at least 60 seconds, although modern adaptors can withstand this indefinitely. Crap no-name brands typically permanently break down at around 1,000 volts

That's a very good reason to source from someone like WES/Wagner, as their products are all approved and made by reputable manufacturers.

• Premium Member

That was a fluke tho.

Anyway I'm sure Phil didn't really mean a wall wart anyway as they would be unlikely to be available in useful amps.

Wallwarts are usually 300 milliamps or similar. I was surprised when Dom found a 2.5amp wall wart!

2.5 x 12 = 30watts might be just enough for a lot of the led lights out there but it might be pushing it?

For this kind of application you probably want at least a 4 amp regulated supply I imagine?

So more the IEC inlet style block PSU's?

Freya

12 Volt 3 Amp switchmode Wall-wart types are available, although it is a pretty big wart!

I get more than enough of those at work. You'd sh!t bricks if you saw some of the garbage that importers try to slide past...

Where the hell did you get that from?

It doesn't appear to have any approval markings, and I seriously doubt it would pass anyway.

Unapproved switchmode adaptors can be horrendously dangerous...

No offence intended :blink: :P ;)

The product was a bluetooth battery powered speaker made by JBL and sourced via the Apple Store with credit Apple provided me as recompense for their selling me a consistently dodgy 2012 era macbook pro retina.

They don't seem too interested in my reports of near potential electrocution from their 'amends' either...

I'm over apple now ... funny thing is, I'm almost over new technology full stop - it really is %99.97 rubbish

I pulled apart my fathers old ArCam amp the other day - 'some sozzled tart' as he had put it when he was still alive (probably referring to himself) had apparently kicked it and managed to shear the input RCA mounts right off the PCB, and since the unit would produce nothing but hum at 140dB SPL. Anyhoo, managed to fix it up, nothing but a little reheat of the solder in that general area.

Plugged it back into his bi-amp speakers - NICE

Although I superglued the offending plastic back in place the JBL speaker can take a hike ... (does that pass AS/NZS 60950?)

:lol:

• Premium Member

I have cheap, crappy power supplies for cheap, crappy equipment. I also have very expensive power supplies for better gear. Doing it properly, in my view, amounts to a nice Traco open chassis switcher in one of those extruded aluminium cases, with connectors on the end. I don't like wall warts or anything with a captive cable because they're both hard to store tidily and extremely difficult to use in international situations. Something with an IEC inlet can simply be used with another cable.