It feels bad to be conned by a fellow Conematography.com member

Matthew W. Phillips

• Premium Member

I had purchased a CP16R package through Paypal from a member of this forum. He set this package up as though it was such a good deal telling me that there was 8,000ft of film and all of these other extras. After purchase, I manage to find out that much of this "film" is intermediate Kodak film and ancient expired Fuji F-series stock. Worse part is he didn't even tell me, I had to find it out by searching his past posts.

Then, to top it all off, he mentioned that the camera works great but I ran across this post that mentioned that the electronics were bad:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=40779&p=396867

He claims it runs great but after all of his lies, I really find it hard to believe. I had already paid for 1-day shipping on this package and have waited 10 days for the camera and have opened a case with Paypal. He claimed he shipped it today and has a tracking number but now I am worried if what I get is even worth a damn.

I realize this is partly my own fault due to lack of due diligence, I suppose, but it feels really bad that I cannot trust people on this forum that I have been part of since 2006.

Steven Vanpotter, I hope your few bucks are worth it.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I had purchased a CP16R package through Paypal from a member of this forum. He set this package up as though it was such a good deal telling me that there was 8,000ft of film and all of these other extras. After purchase, I manage to find out that much of this "film" is intermediate Kodak film and ancient expired Fuji F-series stock. Worse part is he didn't even tell me, I had to find it out by searching his past posts.

Then, to top it all off, he mentioned that the camera works great but I ran across this post that mentioned that the electronics were bad:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=40779&p=396867

He claims it runs great but after all of his lies, I really find it hard to believe. I had already paid for 1-day shipping on this package and have waited 10 days for the camera and have opened a case with Paypal. He claimed he shipped it today and has a tracking number but now I am worried if what I get is even worth a damn.

I realize this is partly my own fault due to lack of due diligence, I suppose, but it feels really bad that I cannot trust people on this forum that I have been part of since 2006.

Steven Vanpotter, I hope your few bucks are worth it.

Have you tried contacting the person through this forum, or directly by phone call?

Years back there was "a cute Asian girl" (early to mid 20s) going around renting video equipment from local vendors. Said rental turned into a case of grand larceny, or so the story goes, when said rentals were not returned.

The one aspect of this industry I like is a double edged sword; and that's the freedom it gives you. But, if you're out in the Wild West like me and a few others, you have to watch yourself with whomever you choose to do business.

I truly hope that your's is a case of misunderstanding.

• Premium Member

I remember this story. The camera arrived and ended up being fine. The seller, whose name is still blackened online in this thread, never received an apology or a retraction. After all this, the OP ended up selling the camera on.

As for the film stock, who buys 8000 ft of film without finding out what sort it is?

• Upvote 1